Animal Lovers Web Forum
Dumbo Rats - Printable Version

+- Animal Lovers Web Forum (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com)
+-- Forum: Animals (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Hamsters and other rodents (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Dumbo Rats (/showthread.php?tid=3212)

Pages: 1 2

Dumbo Rats - Libby - 10-25-2017

Well the same friend that gave Kasey, and I Jean-Luc has 3 dumbo rats she needs to re-home.  She's moving and can't take them with her.  She asked me today if we could take them.  2 are hairless and 1 has white and gray fur.  I believe they are sisters.  They were all raised together and they are about 1.5 years old.  They come with everything.  I don't have good pictures right now but I will be getting them Saturday.  I'll get pictures of them then.

That brings us up to 4 Ball Pythons, 3 Leopard Geckos (still waiting for eggs), 2 dogs, 1 Colombian Rainbow Boa, and 3 Dumbo Rats.

RE: Dumbo Rats - Catherine - 10-25-2017

Dumbo Rats are so cute. They make such good pets. You will enjoy having them and your friend can move in peace knowing her rats are safe in a new loving home.

Sometimes you just have to take a pet to help someone out. So when do you rescue your first guinea pig?

RE: Dumbo Rats - Libby - 10-26-2017

(10-25-2017, 03:15 PM)Catherine Wrote: Dumbo Rats are so cute. They make such good pets. You will enjoy having them and your friend can move in peace knowing her rats are safe in a new loving home.

Sometimes you just have to take a pet to help someone out. So when do you rescue your first guinea pig?

They are adorable.  I've never met them before but she said they are super sweet.  I can't wait to meet them Saturday.  I haven't heard of anyone needing to re-home a guinea pig yet lol.  One day I'm sure.

I went though my friend's Facebook and found a few blurry pictures of the rats.
[attachment=165][attachment=166][attachment=167][attachment=168][attachment=169]

RE: Dumbo Rats - Catherine - 10-26-2017

They are a cute bunch. The dumbos are so funny looking that they actually look good. These ones are big rats. And they look well tamed. I think you will enjoy having them. People who have rats as pets say they are really good pets. 

I can't wait to hear about the rats coming home!

RE: Dumbo Rats - Libby - 10-29-2017

I felt so bad taking another pet from my friend's daughter.  Same person we got, Jean-luc, our first ball python from. She was crying and trying to beg to hide the rats from their new rental place. Unfortunately for her all the rats came home with me. They are in a giant ferret size cage which is nice considering there are 3 of them. They are so sweet and adorable. Kasey is already planning on wanting to get more when these 3 pass which is a big jump from this morning when it felt like he wished he hadn't said yes yo taking them in. With any luck we will get an additional 2 years out of them and it will be a while before we come to that bridge.

https://youtu.be/ohpKrRnU_GA

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow. I don't have any of Rey right now but tons of Leia and Padme. Rey is a little more shy where Leia and Rey just climb out on you and are ready to explore.

RE: Dumbo Rats - Catherine - 10-29-2017

That is a beautiful big cage for them. There is no way they could hide that from a landlord. They are very curious and active rats.
They must wonder where they are.  Hopefully you will have lots of time with them.

I can see they will provide hours of entertainment for Silver Bullet. I am surprized Fennec wasn't there watching them.

I think Fennec was outside when I recorded this. We had friends over and Fennec is too rambunctious so we let him run outside instead of being crated.

I'm enjoying thinking of things they would enjoy hiding in and just chewing up. We were getting rid of a bunch of old Tupperware so I grabbed one from the trash and drilled a rat size hole on the top. They have made it their bed and dragged a few of the fleece squares into it. I had put just shredded paper Easter grass in it.

http://myparadog.tumblr.com/post/166911207300/our-new-rat-babies-leia-padme-and-rey-silver

Here's a few pictures. I have to keep going back and fourth on pictures because most of my pictures the files are to big so I have to upload them elsewhere and just provide the link. You're getting a since tour of my youtube, Instagram, and Tumblr though lol.

RE: Dumbo Rats - Catherine - 10-30-2017

Very creative use of old Tupperware. The rats will love anything you can think of to give them as toys and houses. They will make bedding out of anything they can get ahold of. Think of it as in house recycling. If the snakes and dogs can't use it the rats can. 

Once the word is out that you will take pets in need you will end up with all kinds of creatures. I take older damaged pets and look how many I have and had in the past. Jake Krinkle Snake is still going strong. I have taken in many damaged beardies. George was unconscious when we got him and he lasted 3 months with me. They were a happy 3 months for him.

If you will take dogs, snakes and small rodents you will be helping animals have a chance at a good home. Even if you  end up rehoming some of what you take in you are still giving them a chance.

Now you have a nice bunch of ratties. You will be able to use their cage for some other rats later or something completely different. There are a lot of us who really are unofficial rescues. We are sometimes the only chance a pet has at a good life.

RE: Dumbo Rats - Libby - 11-20-2017

They really are good recyclers. I order from chewy.com and it always comes with this paper stuff for packing I normally throw away. The past 2 orders I've given it to them and they love it. They rip it up and use it as bedding. I have some $1 outdoor rugs that I'm going cut up and use as flooring so they don't have to walk on the bars all the time. Which they came with a few but I needed extras for when they need to be washed.