Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claire and Rey are gone
Quote: It really does feel like the rainbow bridge has a permanent link here.  I'd much rather find a leprechaun's pot of gold if we are talking about rainbows.
I  hear you. I was at the end of a rainbow once and I guess it was the wrong end because there was no gold.

Bullet is being a real treasure. I never expected a dog to bond with a rat.  Bullet came to you at the right time. Rats don't like to be alone. Leia  will know he is there when you lose Padme. Give her all the treats she wants. When they are old like that you want to do anything possible to make your pet happy.

You did everything you could for Claire. Reptiles are not easy to treat. When they start to decline sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop them from dying. They also don't show any symptoms. They hide things very well until they are close to death.
Then they just slip away. That is one of the hard things about having reptiles. We also don't know how old they are when we get them. Unless you saw the reptile come from the egg, you don't really know how old it is. I am finding a lot of estimates are way off. 

All the 3 year old corn snakes I took in a number of years ago I now know were not three years old. They were much older so I suddenly find myself with a set of geriatric snakes. Even Jake Krinkle Snake is past ten. Some of them are probably past 15. They certainly look it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Unfortunately Padme has passed. I checked in on her at 10:30 last night to give her meds and a treat. She was cold and not really wanting to move at all. After I gave her meds she snuggled into my arm and didn't want to move. I just held her for a while and gave Leia her treat and pet on her. When I gave Padme her treat she bit my finger trying to get to it. She didn't break skin but it didn't feel good either. That's when I decided to put her back but I could tell she was having a hard time eating it. Leia kept trying to take it from her but Padme wouldn't let her have it. She never really warmed up while I held her. I'm guessing her heart was starting to give out not pumping her blood fast enough to keep her warm. She likely passed shortly after that.
I cleaned the cage this morning so Leia could have a clean start. I've been checking on her more today and carrying her around when I can. I can tell she's lonely and I'm trying to do what I can for her.
I am so sorry about Padme. Even when you expect it, the loss is still hard. When they go cold like that it is the end. You are right, it is probably the heart that is failing, that can't keep up the blood flow. 

That was a kind thought to clean things out so Leia could have a fresh start. She is really going to need you now.
I hope you find comfort in each other and Leia can have some special times as an only rat.

RIP little Padme, join your friends across the Rainbow Bridge.
Catherine

Leia has been very attached to me now that she's alone. When we put Fennec outside I go get her so she can have some social time. Between her and Popeye and the dogs my hands are full. The snakes are pretty easy going. They don't really require social attention just attention to keep them used to being handled. They have a pretty strict schedule which they know by heart. I'm having to create a social schedule for Leia now. She bonding with me so much more now. Before she liked me but more because I brought food.
You do have it busy right now. I am glad Leia is looking to you for her social interaction. She is older too so it wouldn't make sense to try and bond her with a younger rat. It wouldn't be fair to the younger rat.  It would be different if an older rat suddenly needed a home. That is what has happened with my guinea pigs. There seems to be a steady supply of guinea pigs needing a home.

Snakes are easy and they do get into habits. If you feed them regularly they will learn the signs that it is a feeding day. I find it works to feed all my snakes at once. Then if someone doesn't eat, it is easy to give one of the others an extra meal.

How is Popeye? Is there any improvement?
Catherine