Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Bird's sake, winter prune your trees.
It is winter and yes I am thinking about my gardens. That is how I found an article that advises us to winter prune our trees so that we do not disturb nesting birds. From  October to March the trees are bare and there are no bird nests in use. Once the birds have settled in and started laying eggs doing anything to the trees can upset them. You could even cut a branch with a nest on it and kill a whole nest of birds.

https://www.comoxvalleyrecord.com/commun...ing-birds/

No one wants to kill a nest of birds or even disturb parents and cause them to abandon their nest. As gardeners we have to share our gardens with the birds and all other creatures. They benefit us. We should try to respect them. My local sparrows carefully pick the aphids off my roses. I never have to worry. I planted trees for them and in turn they do pest control in my garden.  I have even left dead branches in place because I know the birds really like those branches. The tree doesn't look as perfect, but it does look more natural.
It is worth it to fit your gardening into the bird calendar. The birds will reward you many times over.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good advice!
Where I live hedges are cut and things always pruned/trimmed in the winter. If ever I have to do any cutting I will try my best to do it in the winter, for selfish reasons as well as because of the birds.

It's easier. The branches are lighter as they don't have much sap in them, and no leaves. It's also wiser if the green wood is to be split and seasoned for firewood, as the moisture content is naturally lower, which makes a good start for seasoning logs.

But I have a large hardy fuchsia outside my back door, and this winter it was only after the leaves dropped that I noticed a wren's nest in the midddle of it! That nest had been there all summer and I had no idea!
Quote:But I have a large hardy fuchsia outside my back door, and this winter it was only after the leaves dropped that I noticed a wren's nest in the midddle of it! That nest had been there all summer and I had no idea!
This is the exact reason why they recommend winter pruning. We would hate to cut a branch down and discover a bird's nest in it. 

I never thought about the branches being lighter in winter. Are they easier to cut when they have less sap in them?
I find it easier to cut branches  without leaves  because it is easier to see what parts I want to cut.
Is it easier on the trees to be pruned in winter?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine