Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead animals used in fashions
Personally I find this gross. It just seems off. Even if she does not kill the animals, it kind of encourages other people to do it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...imals.html

It is bad enough that they still use fur in fashions. Do we really want the industry to use other animals and other animal parts. Birds have always been vulnerable to fashion. If it catches on, some of the prettiest birds could end up going extinct.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

In theory, if no animal is killed expressly to furnish her bizarre business, then no harm is done. Once a physical body dies, it is discarded like the old skin of a snake. Also in theory, taxidermists could use only animals which have passed without being killed on purpose (old age, road accident, etc).

But all that is only in theory. In practice, should taxidermy become very popular as a fashion, then the birds, mice, rabbits, etc need to come from somewhere. I doubt whether aged animals and the victims of road accidents would provide sufficient for the demand. So others would come forward to do the killing - whilst the taxidermists can claim that they themselves have never been involved in the killing.

There is also a possible health risk from gutting dead animals off the street or found dead in a field, unless one is sure of the cause of physical death.
In my view, using bits of birds' wings she finds on the road as roadkill, or elsewhere as the result of a natural death....well I suppose that's okay. The birds no longer need their discarded wings or feathers, and they are lovely colours. They might as well be used for something creative.

But I am grossed-out by stuffed animals' heads (what's the difference? I don't know, but it just gets to me)

And let's hope any trend she creates doesn't lead to others taking life for the sake of 'creativity' or fashion!!
Quote:But I am grossed-out by stuffed animals' heads (what's the difference? I don't know, but it just gets to me)

I feel grossed out as well. It just feels off.

Quote: There is also a possible health risk from gutting dead animals off the street or found dead in a field, unless one is sure of the cause of physical death.

I hadn't even thought about this aspect of the whole idea. It is very dangerous. There are diseases that could be transmitted to humans.
There is a risk of parasites and even poisons if that is what killed the animal.

I agree there is a real concern if the idea becomes popular, people will deliberately kill animals so they can use them. It is a step backwards in many ways.Undecided
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine