Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foster Piggies
The key to a guinea pig's heart is snack time. Beet root strips! I usually don't buy beets. I don't know why not. I like them and I am sure the piggies would like them. I might give them a try.

Have you tried carrot tops. Mine can't resist carrot tops.

Ollie sounds like he is making fine progress.

I guess two boars would be a problem. Although I have had as many as 5 un-neutered boars living together and it has worked out. I still don't know why.Undecided

It sounds like the new dynamic of Cecil and the girls is really bringing out their true personalities. As long as they are all happy.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(01-16-2015, 02:46 PM)Catherine Wrote: Beet root strips! I usually don't buy beets. I don't know why not. I like them and I am sure the piggies would like them. I might give them a try.

Have you tried carrot tops. Mine can't resist carrot tops.

The beetroot in the salad is cut up into matchsticks and they really adore it. I bought beetroot for them but didn't cut it up so finely and they weren't so keen, but we enjoyed it. Of course you have to remember that their wee and poo will be red for a few days after. This can be quite a shock until you remember they had beetroot!!

They love carrot tops and we get them whenever we can, but most veg is so well prepared these days that we don't see them often. We will, on occasion, grow the tops from carrots on a saucer of water but it takes weeks to produce enough and it's eaten in seconds!!

Last night Ollie started running zoomies around his cage. He went around the castle, round the cage, into the castle and out again, then around the castle in the other direction, around the cage the same way then into the castle and so on for about 15 minutes. the was wheeking and popcorning too.
He is such a fun loving piggy when he lets himself go.Smiley32
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Mine just love the beetroot salads. I also tried buying beetroot and slicing it up but they all turned their noses up at it. There's no pleasing some piggies!!
Quote:They love carrot tops and we get them whenever we can, but most veg is so well prepared these days that we don't see them often. We will, on occasion, grow the tops from carrots on a saucer of water but it takes weeks to produce enough and it's eaten in seconds!!

I tried growing them, but it took forever and I got a few straggly leaves.

So I bought a beet, yes just one. After all we may not like it. And I will remember not to panic when they pee red.

So, they like it in fine strips. I already cut their food up. I also cut fine veggies for two bearded dragons and other assorted lizards. The piggies will eat chunks of butternut squash, but the lizards need it in tiny pieces. I will try thin shreds of beet and see what they think.
They like slices of Banana too, but only if I don't give it to them too often. I buy one Banana and wait a while before I get another.
They are so fussy.Smiley4

Cecil sounds like he is just so happy to be alive. His life has become wonderful and happy and full of love and treats. He is a lucky guinea pig.
Catherine

I hope yours like the beetroot, ours love banana as well. Every evening at about 10.30 Cecil comes to the side of the pen, just beside where my husband sits, and announces that it's banana time!! He stands up at the side of the pen and if Phil has dosed off (which by then he often has!!) He will reach through the barrier and nudge the back of his head, even nibbling his hair, until banana is offered. So far he hasn't missed a night.
Ollie has learned the joys of banana and has a bit as a laptime treat.
You have to be careful not to give them too much, though, as it can constipate them, or so I'm told by those who know.

I wonder what other things they would enjoy, if only we knew.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Cecil is too clever.Smiley4 Now it sounds like Ollie is catching on. Are we training them with food or are they training us with food?Smiley4

I think I knew that about banana causing constipation. That is good to know. If a piggie has diarrhea it would be a safe treatment.

I brought home and over ripe cantaloupe last night. They are half price when they get that ripe and that is how I like it. The piggies slurp it up and ask for more. So I will give that as a treat before I head out to the reptile centre. I am always very late home so the piggies get their dinner late. The cantaloupe will keep them going. Of course breakfast was late as well since it is sat and my piggies are being very good about letting me sleep in.Heart

I will try the beet root tomorrow when I am home all day and can watch them.
Catherine

I have, at last, managed to get a photo of Ollie in his cage. He usually comes out blurry, even when he appears to be sitting still!!

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 16338936762_4d4a47f74e.jpg]Foster piggy Ollie. by Gillian Clancy, on Flickr"/>

He's doing very well and will take a favourite treat from my hand in the cage and will even let me stroke him in the cage, if I take my time. He seems to enjoy laptime too.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
Ollie is sweet looking, but he still looks shy. If you have him taking treats from your hand then he is improving. He must listen to the other guinea pigs and because they feel safe, he knows he can feel safe. He just has to get over his uncertainty.

He is so nice looking. Once he has confidence and trust he will find a good home in no time. Fostering makes all the difference in some cases. I just don't know if I could ever part with an animal. Maybe if I always knew it was temporary I could do it.

You foster pet parents are a special group.bouquet
You deserve special recognition.
Catherine

You do have to keep in mind that this piggy is not yours.
I have failed as a fosterer (ie I couldn't give them back) as seen with Ruby and Marigold, although they did return to the rescue, but after 6 weeks without any interest, and Marigold's other 2 daughters (who had been with us too ) being rehomed almost immediately, I just couldn't leave them there and set up a new pen for them. They've been with us for four years now.
Cecil, also came as a foster. But he bonded with me very strongly and I was reluctant to see him lose his confidence. He was destined to be neutered because his fear of other boars made it very unlikely that he would find a cage mate. He stayed with us for his recovery and then it was a done deal really. I find that if you nurse a piggy through any treatment the bond is even stronger and if our girls had not accepted him I'm not sure how it would have worked. Thankfully he charmed them as much as he charmed me.

Sadly we won't be able to keep Ollie, but all he needs from us is a little more confidence and he will be ready to find a cage mate of his own. Suzy has a few waiting on the Boar dating list, so when he's ready he shouldn't have any trouble finding a forever home.

If I could, I would bring all the piggies from the rescue home with me, so fostering and helping with clean out let me have all the piggy contact I want without having to accommodate them or deal with the vet's bills!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
I know how you feel. You can't keep the all, but sometimes you just have to keep a special one like Cecil. Marigold had been through so much and she deserved to live peacefully with her daughter.

You give back enough of the piggies you foster so you are doing it right. I am sure you will build up Ollie's confidence enough and then he can be paired off and will find his forever home.

It is just that some pets bond with you and you can't let them go. I should know.Smiley4 I have a house full of special pets.Smiley4
Catherine