Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not eating meat, a human rights issue
I would imagine that most people who work in an abattoir went there because they wanted a job desperately. But there can be doubt that the killling, killing, killing all day every day is bound to desensitise the workers to pain and suffering. It becomes "normal".

When I was a young man I had a work colleague who described to me how he had worked in a chicken farm as a temporary job. He described how, at first, he was horrified how the chickens were grabbed out of the cages and prepared for slaughter (that was his job). The workers would grab and push the chickens at a frantic rate, whilst the poor, terrified chickens tried to peck to defend themselves. Initially he felt compassion for the chickens, understanding how they felt. But after a few days at work, with productivity bonuses at stake, he began to view the struggling chickens as a nuisance, delaying his work. He began to handle them very roughly, like the others. It became "normal". He said that the work had been "dehumanising" and he regretted having done it.

Let us hope that the "non-kill, cell multiplication" meat you described in another thread will replace the horrendous and cruel conditions which exist in abattoirs.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Not eating meat, a human rights issue - by LPC - 02-16-2016, 07:20 PM