Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My two gerbils.
I bred dwarf hamsters for years and the usual causes of death were heart, stroke and cancer. You can see the cancer because the tumors are visible. If it is heart failure the animal slows down and develops breathing problems before death.
Sudden death is always heart attack or stroke. A sudden heart attack stops the heart and then the animal dies. Usually there is a bluish or grayish colouring around the mouth and tongue(anywhere that is normally pink). If the there is a sudden fatal stroke the animal dies while the heart is still beating. The animal tends to look like it is asleep and the colour stays pink because the blood will still circulate for a short time after death.

If Brownie looked quite natural at the time of his death, it was probably a stroke. It would have been fast. If he was awake he might have had a flash of feeling, but death would be quick enough that he would not have been aware of passing. Even the heart attack is fast.

It is had to lose a pet like that, but you had Brownie living like his old self right up to the end. He was never sick or old and frail. That is how it is with the little pets and I think it is kinder that way. They have such short lives, they get to enjoy every minute of them.

I hope that helps you understand what happened.

How are the new gerbils doing?

You can always rant here. You are among friends.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
My two gerbils. - by Janay - 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
RE: My two gerbils. - by Catherine - 10-07-2014, 12:36 PM
RE: My two gerbils. - by LPC - 10-08-2014, 05:37 AM
RE: My two gerbils. - by Janay - 12-04-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: My two gerbils. - by Catherine - 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM
RE: My two gerbils. - by Tobi - 12-11-2014, 03:10 AM
RE: My two gerbils. - by Janay - 12-15-2014, 08:20 PM