Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whole Foods controversy.
Probably the truth lies somewhere in the middle. The company states that it has not kept birds in cages since 2004, so it is difficult to see how some of the photos of chickens in cages could be from the given facility.

However, some of the video could be authentic, as it shows what is known as "barn egg production". This phrase gives the impression of some rural idyllic barn with grass all around and the chickens free to go outside. However, although barn eggs can be organic (fed organic grain), the conditions in these "barns" can be almost as bad as being in cages. Hundreds, even thousands, of chickens are crammed into a giant sealed building, and although they can move freely there is little space as there are so many chickens in each "barn" (read "industrial building").

It is important to remember that "organic" and "wholefood" is not the same as "free range" or "outdoor raised". The protesters' video does not make this distinction clear. If I am honest, their video is confusing and strays off topic at times, going into general welfare issues rather than sticking to the investigation itself. Whilst I share their ideals, I think the video is not the best I have seen. It is less confusing to do either a general welfare video, or a specific investigation.

Messages In This Thread
Whole Foods controversy. - by Catherine - 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM
RE: Whole Foods controversy. - by LPC - 01-13-2015, 10:14 PM
RE: Whole Foods controversy. - by Tobi - 01-14-2015, 03:14 AM
RE: Whole Foods controversy. - by Catherine - 01-14-2015, 03:24 PM
RE: Whole Foods controversy. - by Tobi - 01-15-2015, 03:28 AM
RE: Whole Foods controversy. - by Catherine - 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM