The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guinea Pig update. NOW WITH PHOTOS!!
It's been quite a while since I was last here. Family stuff and a new computer have all conspired to preoccupy me!! But maybe now things are returning to something like normal.

During the last few months we have had some foster piggies and acquired a new resident.
Two fabulous little girlies came to stay. They were supposedly 6 weeks old but their weights and sizes indicated no more than 2 or 3 weeks. They were tiny and terrified when they arrived, but very soon settled in and Anna worked her magic on them and by the time they left, about 7 weeks later, they were up to an appropriate weight and were lively, demanding piggies who would happily sleep on your lap and run zoomies around the pen for hours!!
They were very quickly rehomed to live with a neutered boar called Luigi.

A week or so later we took on a new resident. A seven year old sow called Goldie. Her family, with whom she had lived for all her life, suddenly decided that she was "Too inconvenient"!!
She is a golden agouti and very skinny, but this is due to her age and the fact that she is declining. She is a darling of a piggy and lived for just 2 days in a partition off the big pen. She was desperate to join the others and they were interested in her. So the partition was removed and Goldie moved in with the herd. It's as if she has always been there. She and Marigold share beds and snuggle up together in the hay pile. Marigold is about the same age, we think, and also has "Shrinking pig" syndrome!! but is still full of life, but finding the warm weather irritating.
Both girls eat very well but cannot retain the weight, but this is something we have seen lots of times with elder pigs.
Cecil is delighted to have another wife and indeed Goldie seems to relish his attentions. Ruby also enjoys her company, and it is Goldie that sets off the wheeking at meal times!
We know she had a cage mate at some point during her life, but I think she lived most of her life alone. When she came from the rescue she was depressed and sedentary and looked like she had only a few days left, but since she arrived she has a new lease on life and seem energised and full of life.
She is very personable and seeks out both piggy and human attention. I think it is very sad that her "People" didn't feel able to keep her, but I'm very glad she came to us and can live whatever time she has left in a herd that really like her and with people who love her.
There will be pictures once I have work out how on this new computer!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/

Messages In This Thread
Guinea Pig update. NOW WITH PHOTOS!! - by Cibach - 08-22-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Guinea Pig update - by Catherine - 08-23-2015, 02:08 AM
RE: Guinea Pig update - by Cibach - 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
RE: Guinea Pig update. NOW WITH PHOTOS!! - by LPC - 09-07-2015, 09:10 PM