The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs and Colour Vision
We are always told that dogs do not see as we do in the red end of the spectrum, and see reds only as shades of grey. But they see better colour at the blue end of the spectrum, however see green as a shade of violet.

That's what we are told.

But I do wonder about that.

When I had a dog some years ago, (in the 1980s) he had a favourite ball, which was orange-coloured and about the size of an orange.
My husband loved fruit, and one night had apples, oranges and a small grapefruit on the sofa beside him. Then he got up to briefly leave the room.

I was playing ball with my dog in the room, and tossed the ball and he couldn't find it after searching around.
He jumped onto the couch, and immediately went to the orange (fruit)....not the green apple, and not the small grapefruit -which were all the same size and shape as his ball.....but to the ORANGE one.

Curious.

Today I went out with bright pink lipstick on. I don't usually wear that. Just did today. The lipstick had exactly the same scent (almost nil) as the pale one I usually use. It was the same brand. Just a very bright colour.

Down the lane I met a neighbour's group of dogs, whom I know quite well, and they know me. One dog was staring at my face. I bent down to stroke him, and he came up to check my mouth, very interestedly.
I am pretty sure he saw the bright pink and wondered why.

So -do they discriminate at the red end of the spectrum? My feeling is....maybe they do after all.
Or those who don't think so would maybe say they are only seeing varying shades of grey....

Messages In This Thread
Dogs and Colour Vision - by Tobi - 09-11-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Dogs and Colour Vision - by Catherine - 09-11-2015, 02:04 PM
RE: Dogs and Colour Vision - by Tobi - 09-12-2015, 09:31 AM
RE: Dogs and Colour Vision - by Catherine - 09-12-2015, 03:45 PM