Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dog's last day
Yes LPC. I don't mean to denigrate that family's choice to document their dog's final hours or passing. But ...just in some ways...it seems yet another example of the tendency nowadays to want to document intimate moments of our lives in online photo albums and social media.

Hopefully, the motive was not that, but to express how they felt and to have memorable pictures of the last happy hours of their dear dog. I do remember when Misty passed, I did have a feeling to want to communicate some things about her online (and did so, by writing my first dog-blog). It became the only Earthly thing I had to turn to for those early days after she left, and it was meant to honour her.

I think that's a part of grieving sometimes; to want to talk about the loved one who has passed, or want to do "something creative for them". So I can understand that. I really do 'get it', even though many may not feel the same way.

But to do that for 'selfie' reasons...? That would be very different.

And I could not have imagined inviting a photographer in to capture her final few hours, or my days after she left. As time went by I may have chosen to describe some of those days in my own words, but could not have tolerated fiming of it at the time!

Also, yes, that dog did appear to have some spark still there. But I looked again and saw a terrible weariness. So although she managed to play with that other dog and wolf down a cheeseburger...who knows what she was enduring. It's also possible she was on Tramadol or some other strong painkiller, and that gave her a little boost.

She might well have been okay to go on another week....who knows though, what her story was?

Misty ate well, and went for 3 happy but short walks on her last day, before her illness became a final crisis. Putting her to sleep was not pre-arranged however but forced by circumstance.

I do agree though. Some things -at least the more intimate moments of them -are meant to be private.

Messages In This Thread
A dog's last day - by Catherine - 08-28-2016, 05:29 PM
RE: A dog's last day - by Tobi - 08-29-2016, 03:34 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by LPC - 08-29-2016, 07:55 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by Tobi - 08-29-2016, 10:30 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by Catherine - 08-29-2016, 03:29 PM
RE: A dog's last day - by Tobi - 08-30-2016, 10:24 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by Catherine - 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM
RE: A dog's last day - by Tobi - 08-31-2016, 02:47 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by Catherine - 08-31-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: A dog's last day - by Tobi - 09-01-2016, 01:11 AM
RE: A dog's last day - by Catherine - 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM