The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mice produced from artificial eggs
I won't try to explain the technicalities. The article does that better than I could. They have created artificial mouse eggs, fertilized them and then implanted them in a female so she could give birth to them.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The first thought is always, why do we need more mice? Then there is the ethics of using animals for research. This kind of research is going to take a lot of mice.

There is also a bigger picture here. Scientists are doing some very serious work in the area of reproductive technology.
Some of it is ethical and some is questionable. Some is beneficial and some is questionable.

This has potential for good and bad. If they are doing it in mice they will want to do it in humans. That is the whole point of the research. After all, mice don't need help to produce more mice. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do it.
Also if we can do something like eliminate genetic illnesses how can we justify letting children be born with things we could have prevented.
I don't think our laws or even our ethics can keep up with the pace of scientific research. What do you think?
I have barely begun to think it through.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Mice produced from artificial eggs - by Catherine - 10-18-2016, 02:47 PM
RE: Mice produced from artificial eggs - by LPC - 10-18-2016, 08:13 PM
RE: Mice produced from artificial eggs - by Tobi - 10-19-2016, 03:16 AM
RE: Mice produced from artificial eggs - by Tobi - 10-20-2016, 02:06 AM