Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live or Die Tests at animal shelters
Another unrealistic expectation which seems to be very prevalent these days is people are somehow expecting their dogs to be Angels. Cute sweet little fur-babies. Instead, they get a dog. Dogs are descended from Wolves! Even the tiny dogs -some smaller than the average cat -that look nothing like Wolves!
In a Wolf pack, the rule of law is keeping everything steady. That's how they survive and flourish. Chastisements are common. So is food aggression. Actually, with a Wolf, it ISN'T food aggression, it is a language which helps keep things ordered and stable. Yes of course, in a Wolf pack, all defer to their leaders. And it is up to humans who companion dogs to show them by good example that they are, in effect, their 'leaders' (in this world of human stuff anyway). That can be done gently and with respect.

But when people imagine that a dog is a fur-baby, that means those who adopt dogs already have unrealistic expectations. The dog is expected to be perfect -in a human's romanticised view -WAY beyond what we expect of others of our own species. There is little room for the natural Self of that dog. Bearing in mind of course that the human companion would be a Guide and good leader, and not encourage negative behaviour.

Some dogs of course are naturally gentle and polite to start with!

I know it isn't fair to generalise, and I know to some extent I'm doing that. Not everyone thinks and feels that way, I realise. But I do wonder about peoples' expectations, and the pressures that puts Shelters under when it comes to adoption.

Anyone who knows dogs knows that generally a Corgi is not the best choice if they have little children. Many dogs don't actually much like little children! Corgis are Cattle dogs, bred with characters who like to nip at the heels of moving cows! Fine if you know dogs....less so if a 'fur-baby' is required.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Live or Die Tests at animal shelters - by LPC - 08-01-2017, 05:53 PM
RE: Live or Die Tests at animal shelters - by Tobi - 08-05-2017, 03:16 AM