Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrie's medical emergency!
(08-28-2017, 02:34 AM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:Then surely that is a gap in their training? Should vets not be trained for treating all types of farm and domestic animals, not just mammals?
It is a gap in their training, but most vets would never see a Tegu lizard of any kind in their lives. Mostly they wouldn't see reptiles of any kind.  However in this case it probably was a "reptile" vet. Being a doctor, the vet would immediately want a medical/surgical solution. They just didn't take into account the trauma of the surgery and the anesthetic. I would trust an experienced reptile breeder over a vet any day. The breeder has actual experience living with and handling the reptiles. Reptile metabolisms are so different from mammals. 

I don't necessarily trust human doctors either. I balance their advice against common sense. I have been prescribed medications(that I wisely didn't take) that would have done more harm that the original problem(which went away on its own).
I had one gall bladder attack in 1979 and they wanted to do surgery, but in almost 40 years I have never had another attack.
I am better for not having had the surgery. I am glad I waited. 

Barrie is not out of danger yet, but I got him to eat a small snack this morning. If he will eat it will help him to recover.
I am gla dto hear Barrie is eating. That seems like a good sign. Most animals won't eat if they are starting with infection or have pain. Bless him, and I hope he will be okay.

I agree with you Catherine. There are some things that don't need too much interference medically. Some things heal better left to nature, and just sensible care at the time. I was once prescribed narcotic painkillers for sciatica pain, when I'd already told the doctor that Ibuprofen worked just fine, suited my system, and only cost 48p at the supermarket. I didn't take the narcotics. Her reason for prescribing 'something stronger' was because she said it 'would get me up and moving about more'. I told her that I like nothing better than to be moving about doing work, but right then, all I needed was rest and let it heal naturally.
I suppose they like that because in a few days' time we are back for laxatives....then some other medicine to combat the side effects of that!....etc. Soon we are rattling with pills!

I agree with you too, LPC. You'd thnk vets would have an all-round training, but considering (so I have heard) they get, I think, a one-afternoon course in animal nutrition (!) in all their years of training -and that is probably flawed and influenced by pet food companies...then it goes to show something in their training is sadly lacking.

Messages In This Thread
Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-25-2017, 10:09 AM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-25-2017, 12:35 PM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-25-2017, 11:54 PM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-26-2017, 09:46 AM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by LPC - 08-26-2017, 06:00 PM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-27-2017, 12:03 AM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Tobi - 08-27-2017, 07:20 AM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-27-2017, 04:54 PM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by LPC - 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Catherine - 08-28-2017, 02:34 AM
RE: Barrie's medical emergency! - by Tobi - 08-28-2017, 08:20 AM