Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing dog walker found alive with her dogs
You are right about how easy it is to get lost. I am sure you knew where you were when you started out. 

There could have been some weather issues like fog or rain. BC is like that. A survival pack like you described would have really helped.  If she could have got a smoky fire going they would have found her sooner and she would have been warmer. I think she found a sheltered spot, but this time of the year it gets cold at night and she could have developed hypothermia. The dogs would have helped, but they had no food. They were lucky they were found in time.

When I did hiking I always registered my hike, stuck to the trail and had more supplies than I needed. I made sure I had food for  days longer than I planned. Because I stated when I would return, if I didn't fill out the card at the return location they would have come looking very quickly. There had wooden boxes set up at the beginning of trails. You filled out a card stating your plans. When you ended your hike even if it was from a different trail you filled out another card. I am sure there is better technology now, but it worked. 

Of course they knew she was missing fairly quickly, but it is a big area to search.

I would think a phone with GPS would be good, but the battery would run out. Maybe we need solar powered phone chargers.
I know they make light weight paper thin thermal blankets. Folded up in the package they are the size of a scone, but they are water proof and hold heat in. Once opened they will never fit back into the package and they make crinkling sounds.  I took one camping once and my friends were not happy. I crinkled all night long. I wouldn't know, I was toasty warm and sound asleep.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Missing dog walker found alive with her dogs - by Catherine - 11-24-2017, 02:34 PM