Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are dogs smarter than cats?
Measuring intelligence is one of the hardest things to do. How do you judge what is a sign of smart and what is a sign of stupid.

If you rehearsed someone on the test even if they were not too bright they would seem to do well compared to someone who is totally unfamiliar with the test methods.

Misty was too smart to waste her time on silly tests. She was too busy getting on with the business of life.
I don't think being social is a sign of intelligence or not in any species. Dogs do well because they want to please us. Cats don't care so they can't be bothered with tests. I would think it would be better to judge how an animal handles the situations it has in life.

Ruth the cat was a bit brain damaged(I mean that literally). If he wanted to leave the room and the door was partly closed he would push it more and close it and then sit their confused just staring at the closed door. Junia my other cat was very clever. She would get up and go and open the door for him. Ruth would looked surprized at the now open door and not understand how it happened. Junia would come and get me if Ruth had managed to shut himself in a closet and she couldn't get the door open for him. I don't know how they would have done on tests, but clearly Junia had the brains and Ruth was cute.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 11-30-2017, 05:29 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by LPC - 11-30-2017, 09:39 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Tobi - 12-01-2017, 03:19 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by LPC - 12-01-2017, 05:26 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Tobi - 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM
RE: Are dogs smarter than cats? - by Catherine - 12-05-2017, 01:31 PM