Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
170 dogs rescued from Korean dog meat farm
Quote:Unfortunately, sanctions and trade bans are almost always used for political reasons, and very rarely for ethical causes.

You are right. We can't expect the government of any country to impose bans or sanctions on South Korea because of the dog meat trade.

That doesn't mean we can't impose a ban as individuals against buying South Korean goods. We already don't use products from companies that test on animals. We don't use products containing palm oil from plantations that are killing the orangutans.
It may take time, but if all animal lovers boycotted products that caused harm to animals  or products from countries that allow harm to animals, we would have an impact. 
It is very slow though. 

Remember the Nestle boycott. It is an example of a company being boycotted by a movement rather than a country. We worked hard on that boycott in the 70s.
There is still a need to boycott Nestle. They have new violations.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...ej_QhjNyvv

I hope with the internet we can focus on boycotts more and get the message out better.

We certainly can boycott the Olympics in Korea. I know none of us were planning to go to Korea, but we can also refuse to watch any Olympic broadcasts or read any papers. We can even refuse to talk about the Olympics other than to mention the dog meat trade. In other words, we can be annoying for a cause. If enough people  were to refuse the Olympics it would be noticed. We could contact our local TV stations and ask them not to broadcast the Olympics because of the dog meat trade.
This is the biggest area where we can have impact. I am sure there are petitions that we can sign as well.

I am sure Korea wants the Olympics to go well and gain their country world wide recognition. They won't want bad publicity.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: 170 dogs rescued from Korean dog meat farm - by Catherine - 12-04-2017, 03:53 PM