Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A day at the zoo
The lions like to be out if it is not too cold. The rock structure they were sleeping on is manufactured and the stone pad they are lying on is heated. Also most wind comes from the west and the den faces east. The outdoor rock cave is a short distance from their warm indoor quarters. That door is hidden, but they know where it is. On a snowy day it is not too cold.

You were right about there being more snow. It is still snowing off and on and will do so for days to come.

If you go back to the picture where I mention wolves, there are two wolves in the picture. They are arctic wolves so they are fluffy white.  I wish my pictures would post bigger. Right now this is the size that will post.  I don't know why. 

[Image: enlBhKCW3GZF57Tek0UbNkRa8BTY1ql3u1-wE4dQ...3-h1509-no]

Catherin Becket 

I might have figured it out. You can see the wolves now.

[Image: 4HgfHmIVVdh5Hq4jbBMOyjYsMPCDF7UHjx3c6oJQ...4-h1665-no]
Catherine Becket • Only you

Now you can see the lions. There are three of them. The male is resting his head on the two females so his mane is keeping them warm.

[Image: PRg7UdKhL2pL19AKYWLaIrLhywMmalZhT7CZwnBj...5-h4080-no]

Now you can see the bears. They are two young males, Hudson and Humphrey, brothers.

[Image: NVwHeV2oWIeAH3xU4Z6gAEQXOauRRAmkcMNRL6pd...92-h863-no]

The foxes are two balls of fluff. The one in front is still partly brown. The one on top of the shelter is pure white. These are the arctic foxes so they change from brown to white in the winter. Even partly white gives good camouflage.

[Image: xNxBrx-M5rZpLMokB3NHgHX50j3sS7JjPB3dHIuz...2-h1844-no]

These frogs are part of a major frog conservation program. The zoo is breeding them to keep the species going. In the wild a fungus is killing them. If they can find a cure they can then release zoo born frogs back to the wild. 

[Image: QsHz1NtknuLVQaNc6w1c9ooOC_BV-L-uTfHzf6QO...2-h1742-no]

So far they are having success getting the frogs to breed. If you look closely at the pictures you will see what I mean.

Solving the fungus problem is going to be harder. These frogs are from South America.  Many species of frogs are having a problem. The only way to save some populations of frogs was to bring them in from the wild and treat them. 

I am proud of the work Toronto Zoo does towards conservation in this and many other areas.

Catherine Becket • Only yo
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
A day at the zoo - by Catherine - 02-10-2018, 05:47 PM
RE: A day at the zoo - by Tobi - 02-11-2018, 11:11 AM
RE: A day at the zoo - by Catherine - 02-11-2018, 04:08 PM
RE: A day at the zoo - by Tobi - 02-12-2018, 04:04 AM
RE: A day at the zoo - by Catherine - 02-12-2018, 03:00 PM
RE: A day at the zoo - by platy - 02-13-2018, 12:23 AM
RE: A day at the zoo - by Catherine - 02-13-2018, 02:40 PM