Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog dies during grooming at Pet Smart
Many dogs don't actually like their feet being messed about with. Many dogs are actually scared of having their nails trimmed. Misty hated it. She wasn't literally "scared" when I did it for her but she was apprehensive, put it that way. But she learned to trust me. But even so, sometimes she would reflexively jerk her foot back so I had to be careful. And she always cringed a bit when I got the nailclippers out.
I had a feeling some clumsy person in her life before "us" once cut the quick by accident and she never forgot it.

I can't imagine what she'd have been like with a stranger doing it....in a groomer's room, probably with the radio blaring, phones ringing, the horrible sound of dryers running etc. AND being restrained by the neck on a table.
She would have wriggled about. At least. She wouldn't have bitten anyone but would have been stressed. Very stressed.

So what probably happens is that a dog wriggles a bit and the "groomers" restrain the dog, or tighten the noose around its neck. That makes things worse. The dog wants nothing to do with it. At this point it is worse than the vet's. They want out. At which point some so-called "groomers" lose their patience, or even their tempers. Every time they try to clip a nail the dog pulls that foot away. It happens three times and the person gets angry. They have a schedule. They are not being paid well. They maybe don't even like dogs. It's just a job. They have no experience with loving a dog in their lives. They lose it.

How terribly sad. My heart goes out to those people whose dogs were killed so suddenly and horribly. And as LPC said....blessings to those dogs' Souls.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog dies during grooming at Pet Smart - by Tobi - 04-09-2018, 12:29 PM