Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An ecology experiment gone wrong?
I calculates hectares to acres and 5000 hectares is 12355.27 acres.
That is a good sized piece of land, but it is not huge. One hectare is about the size of a rugby field.

Allowing that much land to go back to nature is a good thing. I wonder if they should have let the land grow a few more years before adding grazing animals. Maybe they could have done some serious planting of native trees. Adding three different species of grazing animals might have been too much at once. Rebuilding an ecosystem is a very complex thing. It takes years for nature to find a balance. Different species will establish themselves at different stages and eventually a balance will occur. I don't know if predators would have been possible. They certainly should have been considered. 

I think the tragedy was unintended. It was the result of an eager desire to do something without fully understanding how it needed to be done. I think the area can still find a balance, but they do need to do some herd management. In rewilding situations like Chernobyl animals came back in stages and established themselves as the ecosystem could sustain them. 

I would be interested in how this situation turns out. That is still a large piece of land and it could be an amazing nature reserve.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
An ecology experiment gone wrong? - by Catherine - 04-29-2018, 05:49 PM
RE: An ecology experiment gone wrong? - by Tobi - 04-30-2018, 12:03 AM
RE: An ecology experiment gone wrong? - by Catherine - 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM