Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we intervene to help wildlife
If you check out the butterfly section, I found an article about Monarch Butterflies being raised in captivity. There are people who go around and collect the chrysalids and bring them inside to finish their transformation into butterflies.
The research isn't conclusive yet, but butterflies raised inside don't migrate. If they don't migrate they don't survive and they don't have offspring that will migrate back. It could be that the people "helping" the butterflies are actually doing the opposite.

I am helping by planting milkweed and flowering shrubs and perennials. I figure the animals will know what to do if I give them what they need. I got the milkweed plants as part of a program to help the butterflies. Thousands of plants have been sold in Toronto so there are many plants for the butterflies to choose for laying their eggs.  I think this is help that is useful and sustainable. The people running the program brought in the right kind of plants so we really are helping the butterflies and the whole environment.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should we intervene to help wildlife - by Catherine - 06-29-2019, 03:29 PM