Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Badger Cull extended to 10 more areas
I can't believe they have extended the cull. It is stupidity to continue to spend money on a cruel and ineffective cull.
If they put their efforts into vaccinating badgers at least the badgers would be safe from BTB. The badgers are getting the disease from the cattle aren't they. They are not the ones spreading it.

Working out better farming practices to prevent the spread of disease would have an immediate good effect. Producing an effective vaccine would have the long term effect of stopping BTB altogether. We have eradicated other diseases through vaccination programs. Why are we not doing it here. The culling is cruel and senseless. 

I wonder about the ecological consequences of killing badgers. Since badgers exist in certain habitats they must have a role in the balance of life in that area. What would happen if they got rid of the badgers. I am not familiar enough with their habits to know what would happen if they were eradicated. There may be some pest that badgers keep under control. We don't really know. This cull is being done without and consideration of the long term consequences. 

As usual we have leapt at the  easiest solution to a problem even if it is the wrong one and even if it may have serious consequences.
When will we ever learn.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK Badger Cull extended to 10 more areas - by Catherine - 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM