Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Placebo effect in pets
This is very interesting !

Such a thing could conceivably happen with an animal who is very bonded emotionally to its human. I'd never thought of that before.

With some minor ailments, all that is needed for healing is time, kindness, and a positive attitude....that applies to people and animals.

So it's possible that giving an animal a homeopathic remedy might give the illusion of the animal getting better as a result of the pills.
And I have also noticed that sometimes they work quite well.

But I do not think anyone should rely on that kind of medicine for treating pain. Pain is a whole different ball-game.
Even with herbal medicine, which I have worked with since the 1980s, I never found a 100% reliable pain treatment. Even though I used herbs for everything (for myself) I always took a painkiller tablet if I had pain.

Animals can mask pain sometimes. They can "soldier on", especially if they are getting positive feedback from their human whom they adore. Sometimes it can look like an improvement.

I totally agree with getting advice from the vet re: pain treatment, and using it, if signs of pain are present, or if in the vet's estimation, the animal may well be in pain (such as after surgery or on other occasions.)

Messages In This Thread
Placebo effect in pets - by Catherine - 11-09-2019, 06:35 PM
RE: Placebo effect in pets - by Tobi - 11-12-2019, 03:17 AM
RE: Placebo effect in pets - by Catherine - 11-12-2019, 04:13 PM