The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs 'jumping up in greeting' constitutes a threat??
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...homes.html

A Daily Mail online article:
"Dog owners warned of jail threat if their pets jump up in their own homes to greet visitors
Previous laws only protected people against attacks in public places
However new rules make owners liable even on private properties
Owners can be prosecuted even if person only feels threatened."

Only feels threatened....what is that supposed to mean? Certainly, many dogs guarding their house and home and family will show some signs of wariness, and often warning towards strangers who suddenly appear, knock on the door, or enter the garden area.
Granted, some could be aggressive in this situation. It's up to the 'intruder' to respect that (surely?)
I understand that could be difficult for postmen. I ran a post round once as a teenager, and got barked at umpteen times, and my fingers nipped through letter-boxes! Had to vault a couple of gates in a hurry....LOL (I wore sturdy gloves from then on...)

But as for dogs 'jumping up' -well they also do that when greeting people. This across-the-board assessment of canine behaviour, and what does/doesn't constitute a threat is very subjective!

This law seems to be too weird. Possible prosecution for a dog 'jumping up in greeting'....there is something wrong with that!

There may be very mixed feelings about this law, as some may think it's a good thing.
I think it's nuts, myself. But then, I would.

Petition against the bill here, if anyone also thinks it's nuts:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/485/991/4...1372498951

Messages In This Thread
Dogs 'jumping up in greeting' constitutes a threat?? - by Tobi - 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM