Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find a dog trainer
Some breeds with thick coats or thick skin like basset hounds will often just take the shock and go. Which is how we got one of our basset hounds when I was a kid. Bailey ended up on a busy road multiple times before she came to live with us. We had a chainlink fence back then.

Depending on the fence there are two basic types, wire and base. The wire works through a parameter wire and when the collar gets within a specified range it will trigger the collar to send the beep and if the dog keeps going they get the shock. With a fence base type when the collar gets too far from the specified distance, it will trigger the beep and then shock if the dog keeps going. The Halo system you set up a perimeter from your phone using GPS. But same concept you just don't need a base or wire. Older dogs can't hear the beep sometimes and like I mentioned dogs with thick skin and coats can't feel the shock if the shock is not high enough. You want the ability the adjust based on the needs of the dog.

The biggest issue I have with these fences is that while it can keep your dog in the yard, it doesn't keep other dogs out. This is why I like my basic chainlink fence. It's not perfect but it does keep our dogs in and other dogs out. I really want a privacy fence so the dogs can't see out when people walk by the house and bark like crazy. Maybe I will get a privacy fence when I move!

Messages In This Thread
How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-03-2021, 11:00 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-04-2021, 11:44 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-04-2021, 04:45 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-04-2021, 09:28 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Libby - 12-05-2021, 07:05 AM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-05-2021, 05:11 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by LPC - 12-05-2021, 11:04 PM
RE: How to find a dog trainer - by Catherine - 12-06-2021, 05:53 PM