Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight to keep Stanley the goat
Quote:Presumably someone who is petty-minded and has nothing more important to worry about at the moment. Never mind the invasion of Ukraine, looming world food shortages, global warming, pandemics, etc...! 
That is a really good point. There is so much happening right now, who has time to worry about the neighbor's goat. If it makes her happy, I would be happy for her. We are now starting a Monkey Pox outbreak so I don't care if my neighbour has 10 goats.

Quote: I also wonder about the enforcement officer, who seems to be expanding his interpretation of the regulations so far as to interpret one goat as a "hobby farm"!
Good point about the tax definition of a hobby farm.

As far as I can tell from the article, Jo-Anne has a house and some kind of yard in a small town. There is nothing to indicate that she farms in any way. She just has a pet goat. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobby_farm

Hobby farm or working farm by definition seem to involve "farming". She would actually have to be working some land or raising some animals. 
Small vegetable gardens don't count as farming. One goat doesn't count as raising animals.
I grew up on an acre of land and we worked that land and ate the vegetables it produced. We even had chickens for a while. We were not considered to be a farm, hobby or otherwise.

Enforcement officers can be a little zealous. An example is our parking enforcement officers. People attended a one hour event. The building was open less than two hours. Most people parked a little over an hour. They all got tickets for exceeding the 4 hour parking limit for the area. All the tickets got cancelled because no one parked for 4 hours.

The guy who did all the ticketing would have no trouble seeing one pet goat as evidence of a farm.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by Catherine - 05-21-2022, 04:19 PM
RE: Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by LPC - 05-21-2022, 07:54 PM
RE: Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by Catherine - 05-22-2022, 02:55 PM
RE: Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by LPC - 05-22-2022, 07:56 PM
RE: Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by Catherine - 05-23-2022, 03:10 PM
RE: Fight to keep Stanley the goat - by Catherine - 06-05-2022, 03:32 PM