Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Baby!!
I say baby but he’s an 8 year old ball python named Capt. Jean-Luc Picard.  My fiancé and I picked him up Saturday.  A friend of mine joked on Facebook that he would make a good office pet to another friend and I commented saying, “ If you are getting rid of him I would take him in a heartbeat”, and before I knew it she had offered to give him to me with everything.  She just wanted him to go to a home she knew he would be taken care of.  Her 9 year old had left the tank open one night and he had gotten out and into her 1 year old sons and started to wrap around him before she caught him and was able to stop it.  She never wanted that to happen again and it end badly.   So she made the hard decision so find him a new home.  When she knew I was willing to take him she jumped on it.  She had rescued him from a bad situation where he was kept in a tote with no heat source and it was small and cramped and he want’s fed regularly.  He was badly calcium deficient and she didn’t think he was going to make it but he pulled though and has been great ever since.  After going through that I know how hard it would be to give him away but she needed to protect her son.  He’s about 4 ft which kinda leads me to think he is actually a she but we will see.  I’d like to get him steeled into life at his new home and then take him to the vet for a check-up where we would hopefully find out if he really is a he.
Jean-Luc’s really sweet and laid back.  He’s never bitten anyone and outside of the crib incident he’s never done anything remotely dangerous.  They would take him fairly regularly shopping and around town.  Her nine year old would hold him regularly with no problems.  So he’s very use to being handled.  We feed him Saturday night and left him alone until Monday night we pulled him out for some TV time.  We watched a couple episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine with him.  We thought was fitting only reason we didn’t watch TNG was because we just finished it not too long ago and had moved on to Deep space nine.  He was content to just sit in my lap the whole time.  I had to make him go to Kasey so I didn’t hog him the whole time.  Kasey is just so happy to be caring for an animal again.  He hasn’t had a pet in years and has been dying for one ever since we started spending time together even before we were dating.  Spending time with all my animals made him realize how much he missed having a pet.  Jean-Luc is staying with him until we get married next April.  We are dying to take him to the upcoming reptile show in March.  It’s a special time of year for us because that’s where Kasey slipped and told me he loved me 2 years ago this year.
Congratulations on the new baby. I love the name. It has class.
Do you have a local reptile store? Or maybe some local breeders. They would be better able to sex him since they know what they are looking for. He is big enough to be probed, but make sure you only let an experienced person do it.

He has quite the history. I am glad he has recovered and is strong and well.  I am sure he was really just looking for a warm place to sleep when he climbed in with the baby. It could have ended badly. We do have to protect our pets and the people around them. She is making a good decision and you will love having a ball python.  I can't wait to see pictures.

You should get married at the reptile show or maybe at the zoo. I do know of  zoo keeper who got married at the zoo.
It was a fitting place for a wedding.
You could at least bring your snake to the wedding. Ball pythons are very well behaved.

Snakes are good TV watching companions. They never talk during the show, they don't eat your snacks and they don't hog the remote. What more can you ask for. Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's wonderful you've given a new home to the python. I hope all will go well for you with him or her.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Here are some pictures. He's so big!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCB1_NNkeDO/...=myparadog
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCZbusqEeK7/...=myparadog
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCZb3yLEeLM/...=myparadog
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCZb8RXEeLS/...=myparadog
Very nice colour!  Jean Luc is very handsome. He has good markings.
You are right he is a good size, but ball pythons are so passive  that he is still going to be easy to handle.

You are going to love having a ball python. They are an interesting snake and Jean Luc did need a home.
I knew you would get a snake so  day. It was only a matter of time.

So congratulations on your FIRST snake.

It is easier to choose to get a second one. I should know. Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Congratulations on your first snake. I hope you have a good long time with him.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Jean Luc is really beautiful with lovely markings. Happy snake-days Libby!  He/she will be very happy with you.