Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Your Dog Stressed?
Shocked 
Here are some ways they say that show a dog is stressed:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts...hese-signs

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
The pictures are really good. You can tell which dogs are stressed. I would think, with practice you should be able to read your own dog's body language very well. 
Good article!

It helps to know what your pet is feeling. They can't  tell us in words, but they can tell us with their bodies if we learn to listen.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I can read a lot of Suzies' body language. She is so cute when she barks at me because she wants some pizza! Even when I am on the phone ordering a pizza Suzy will bark because she knows I am ordering it! She is one smart pooch!

Clever!  When she learns to order the pizza herself you might have problems.

Dogs are so smart. Suzy knows the word pizza. She might even recognize the voice of the staff at the pizza place. I bet she knows when the pizza has arrived before the doorbell is rung.
Catherine

Body language is key when dealing with dogs. Licking lips, wide eyes (where you can see the whites), ears back, darting eyes, crouched, stiff, shaking, yawing, or tail between the legs are all signs your dog can be stressed or anxious. It's very important to know these signs because ignoring these signs are how good dog gets turned onto a bite statistics. Growling and barking isn't always going to be present. And it's not their fault. They give ample warning but few know what the signs mean. It's the same thing every time, "it came out of no where." It's sad that people get a dog and don't bother to learn anything about them. They have a language that can be interpreted with very little effort. I've been learning it my whole life. From a young age my parents taught me what they knew, I picked up on some things of my own with personal experience, or I watched animal planet for any other information before finally getting my dog training certificate which verified what I already knew.
You are right. No behavior just came out of nowhere. There are warning signs. Lots of people can't pick up clues from the people in their lives. They stand no chance of understanding their dog. Even if people want to work with their dog, they often have no idea  how.

It is fortunate that you have had such good training and you have a natural instinct for dog behavior.  You will be able to help people with their dogs. Think of yourself as a translator.
Catherine

Yes, that's great you are certified as a trainer. It is good to know body language of dogs. I think I have picked up a lot of it instinctively because I dote on Suzy so much. I am constantly paying attention to her when she is awake.

If you pay attention you do learn your own pet and how to read them.

It is helpful that there are people who can read other people's dogs. Not everybody knows how to understand their own dog.  If they can understand why a dog acts as it does they can live with the dog better and have less conflict.
Catherine

(03-01-2016, 03:23 PM)Libby Wrote: Body language is key when dealing with dogs.  Licking lips, wide eyes (where you can see the whites), ears back, darting eyes, crouched, stiff, shaking, yawing, or tail between the legs are all signs your dog can be stressed or anxious.  It's very important to know these signs because ignoring these signs are how good dog gets turned onto a bite statistics.  Growling and barking isn't always going to be present.  And it's not their fault.  They give ample warning but few know what the signs mean.  It's the same thing every time, "it came out of no where."  It's sad that people get a dog and don't bother to learn anything about them.  They have a language that can be interpreted with very little effort.  I've been learning it my whole life.  From a young age my parents taught me what they knew, I picked up on some things of my own with personal experience, or I watched animal planet for any other information before finally getting my dog training certificate which verified what I already knew.

That is all so true Libby, and thank you for this post. We should all learn to 'speak Dog' because they tell us a lot. But when we love them, we should love to 'listen' to what they have to tell us.