Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad day for my guinea pigs
Smiley19 Caramel got pregnant while I was on holiday. So she was due this week. I have been feeling babies moving all week long. Yesterday I couldn't feel movement anymore. I could still feel the babies, but they were still.

She went into labour and had two perfect babies. One little girl the image of her and one little boy the image of dad. I tried everything to get them breathing(mini guinea pig CPR). They had already been dead for a day. There was nothing I could do, there was nothing anyone could do. Smiley19

I don't know why they died. They looked perfect so it must have been placenta failure.

Caramel has never liked being held, but she has been clinging to me since she went into labour. I sat on the floor by the guinea pig enclosure holding her before and after delivery. Even now, hours later she is still in my lap. She just wants me to hold her and comfort her. I may be up for a few hours more.

It is sad when baby animals die like that. They never had a chance at life. Their mother never had a chance to care for them. Guinea pigs are good mothers and she would have been very happy. I think we are both sad together right now.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am so very sorry to read this. Maybe Caramel (she must be a sweetie pie with a name like that!) can become pregnant again later, after she has got after the shock of her tragic loss. Right now, she needs the love and comfort you are giving her.
Poor little babies. Caramel must feel the loss, so your comforting her will help. You did your best to save them.
Stillborns are always so sad. They just weren't meant for this hard world. They turned around and went home.
Bless their Souls.
They were so perfect, but they didn't live long enough to be born. They will always be perfect and tiny. Heart I have called them Carmy and Bicky after their parents Caramel and Biscuit and I will bury them with the other guinea pigs in my garden. Heart

Caramel is sad, but the other guinea pigs are being so good to her. They come up and wash her face and nuzzle her. They take turns lying down with her. I went out and got some special treats for her so she is eating a bit. I hope she will be well after she has had time to grieve.
Catherine

Poor little poppet I'm sure she'll be fine with love and care.
She seems a lot better tonight. She is eating and showing interest in things. I think in a few days she will be back to her old self. She does have a loving piggie and people family to look after her. They didn't try stop her from being sad. They were sad with her. Guinea pigs are such caring little animals. You have to admire their compassion and concern for a friend who is hurting.
Catherine

Yes...I don't know very much about Guinea Pigs, having never had one. But I am glad to hear from you, about their characters and how they are.
It is very moving, that they know immediately that Caramel needs comfort. Did they witness the birth? Or maybe they just sense her grieving, and gather round her.
She will recover, but it is never easy to lose loved ones, especially one's own babies or young ones.
Caramel's sister was with her and so was the father. He is being very sweet. Mama cleaned the first baby so they know what happened. I took the second one right away so I could try CPR. They still knew.  The male keeps lying beside her and putting his head against her.

I have seen guinea pigs do that with a herd member who is dying. They take turns lying with and comforting the one who is going. Then they spend time comforting each other afterwards. I think guinea pigs are very special animals. They have all the qualities of love and empathy and sympathy. Most people never really know their guinea pig and what a special creature it is.
Catherine