Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban the sale of tiny hutches
Please help us help the UK's rabbits by signing and sharing this petition.  

For far too many years rabbits have been confined solely to tiny hutches.  Natural athletes that they are, they need space to run, stretch and play, and they need the company of other rabbits and of people.

Let's help fix this problem of tiny hutches as part of an overall drive to raise standards - Queen Victoria has been dead for well over 100 years and this belonged in her time.  Let's leave it there

https://www.change.org/p/zac-goldsmith-m...3ef0feda7f
A hutch is not enough
www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
Reg Charity 1167093
RWAF thank you for your post! I totally agree. I have no idea why so many people think small hutches are fine for rabbits!! When we see the way wild rabbits live -that is plainly obvious. It is cruel to keep a rabbit in a tiny enclosed space.

I signed the petition. Thank you for posting it on here and drawing our attention to it.

Welcome to our forum Smile
Thank you Tobi

We have lots of information on rabbit care specifically, but some guinea pig information too, on our website, https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

The petition is just 24 hours old and is already doing well with over 3.5K signatures.  We'd love to be able to present a petition to the government that has over 10K, in support of improving rabbit welfare
A hutch is not enough
www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
Reg Charity 1167093
RWAF, it is good to hear from you again. I hope you get all the signatures you need. No rabbit should ever live in a tiny cage. Rabbits need to run and jump and live full active lives.

For the last ten years my friend has been bringing her rabbit to me when she has to be away. His traveling cage is bigger than a small hutch and he is only in it during the hours when I am at work. The rest of the time he free roams my place. Even as an older bunny he still runs around and plays all night. At home he doesn't even have a cage, he free roams an area. I can't picture such a fun loving creature shut up in a small cage day after day. All rabbits should live like Luna Bunny. If they can't do that then they should at least have a big comfy hutch where they can feel at home and enjoy life.

I hope the petition is effective. I think you will get a lot of signatures.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks Catherine. Yes, my own rabbits Alfie and Fearne have free range in my house, downstairs only though, I cannot properly bunny proof upstairs where my office is. There isn't any cage, but if they want to get away into the dark there are plenty of places they can do that. Their favourite is under my armchair. They have toys and tunnels, unlimited hay, green leafy veggies once a day, a small number of pellets once a day (per our diet advice) and whenever they are ill (thankfully rare) they go to the vet without any hesitation. They get their vaccinations (Nobivac plus Filavac, two weeks apaart) every year as is essential to protect them from these deadly illnesses. Because I am elderly and far less mobile than I used to be I can no longer assure their safety in the garden but previous rabbits used to have access to that as well, under supervision

What a far cry from the lives they might have lived, shut alone in a tiny hutch and forgotten for most of every day.

Rabbits are natural athletes who need the freedom to be able to run, hop, and show their enjoyment of life with binkies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3hga1-ZlSQ
A hutch is not enough
www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk
Reg Charity 1167093
Your rabbits live beautiful lives. They have everything they need and life is interesting for them. Your home is their home. As you say, they have places where they can hide and places to sleep. Life is better for them and they are more fun for you. You keep them regular in their feeding and care. That is why they are doing so well.

I do things very carefully for Luna Bunny and I let him run around. This year he slept under the Christmas tree and he played with the toys I put under the tree. We had so much fun.

A rabbit in a small hutch would be a lot of work and very little fun. Watching rabbits play and run around is so funny. A rabbit just sitting in a cage is no fun for anyone.

The video is good. That is how rabbits should live. They need room to run and play and enjoy life. 
I hope people learn how to care for their rabbits properly. They are such a wonderful pet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine