Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worried about Earl
This is Earl the day I realized he was coming home with me.
[Image: IMG_5699.JPG]

He was an older snake, but he was still fine looking.
I have a beautiful son from Earl and it gives me an idea of what Earl was like as a young snake. He is the long one that looks like a baby Earl.
[Image: IMG_0002.JPG]

This is Earl with his true love, Caitrin
[Image: IMG_6165.JPG]
You can see how big he is.
[Image: IMG_6150.JPG]
Here he is trying to help her lay eggs. He meant well, but he wasn't much help.
[Image: IMG_6257.JPG]
This is Earl a year ago.
[Image: IMG_9995.JPG]
He is healthy looking and his weight is good.

Now I don't want to take his picture. He has lost a lot of weight. I can feel a hard growth along one side. My guess when you add the weight loss and how he looks, it is probably cancer. I am not sure. Maybe Earl is just having a hard winter and come the spring he will rally and return to his old self.
The trouble is, I don't believe it for a minute. My instinct is that I am going to lose him. I don't know how long it will take, but I think Earl is dying. It could be months. I have moved his tank so I can watch him more closely. I certainly won't let him suffer. I want to enjoy what time we have left. He is certainly happy to be with Caitrin. I am just watching him go from a strong vigorous snake to an old and fragile creature.Smiley6
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh, dear! I am very sorry indeed to read about Earl. I know next to nothing about snakes, and you are an expert, but in any case I found this which you may well have seen already, but if not here it is: http://www.petplace.com/reptiles/lumps-a...page1.aspx

You can get rid of the irritating pop-up without signing up by just clicking on "Close window". You can then read the page without distraction.
Oh Catherine....I understand. Just give him the nicest life right up until he decides he has to leave this world. (which you are already doing.)

Kindest thoughts for him. Heart
Thank-you for the article and thank you both for your kind thoughts.

I wanted to share with someone what I have become aware of with Earl. He is old, but his weight loss seemed more than just an age issue. Now that he is thinner, I can feel a hard mass I would say, probably the liver area or the stomach. I have sensed that there is a serious problem for a while now. Because he is older his metabolism is slow so things will not move quickly, but I think he will continue to decline.

I want to keep him here with Caitrin as long as I can keep him comfortable. It is hard to think of the big guy losing ground like this.
Still we have some time left and I want it to be special. If life becomes a burden for him then I will act, but for now I will keep up palliative care. I did move his tank to the number one spot where it is easier to keep an eye on him and I can see him at night. Now I am really glad earl is with me. I will make his last days happy for him. He deserves it after the long life he has had. I just wanted to share this with you. Earl is a very special snake and very dear to my heart.
Catherine

Oh Catherine. I'm so sorry Earl is in failing health. What a big, fine boy he is in your photos. He has had a lovely life with you and Caitrin.
The hardest part of being an animal keeper is admitting that it is time, but we all know when it is for our animals and then it is the last kind act of love you can do. Let's hope Earl has some time to go before then and that he and Caitrin (and you, of course) enjoy that time together.
We're thinking of you all and sending all the healing thoughts we can.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Thank-you so much. I have never had an old snake before and I have only lost one adult who died of a stroke when he was only five. I am in new territory with this, but I trust my instincts. I know the signs that something is wrong and for several months now I have sensed that it was more than age. Now that I can feel a lump I know where I stand.
What I don't know is how this will progress. I think it will be slow because he is a big old snake. I hope he goes naturally at home with those he loves. But I also know I will do what is best when the time comes.
I think the real loss comes the day you realize the end is coming. No matter how long it takes, I know there is not going to be a return to the strong healthy Earl I have known. Earl is such a gentle creature and so loving. Heart I am really lucky that he came to spend his last years with me.
Catherine

Wishing Earl all my kindest thoughts. Bless him. Things like cancer can sometimes progress much slower in older animals.(including us.)
Quote:Wishing Earl all my kindest thoughts. Bless him. Things like cancer can sometimes progress much slower in older animals.(including us.)

I will tell Earl what you said. He is a gentle creature and very responsive. We bonded the first time I saw him.
I think you are right, his metabolism is slow so whatever happens it will be slow. Snakes can go a long time without eating anyhow, so an old snake like Earl is going to lose weight slowly. Most of my snakes are not eating right now, but Earl is also losing body mass. You see that with cancer patients.

Earl's eyes are not too clear either so he may be more than 15 years old. That is just my best guess. I am glad Earl ended up with me when he was rehomed. I will make his last days peaceful and comfortable. It has been such a privilege to know and love Earl.Heart
Catherine

I'm so sorry to hear about earl. I know how hard it is knowing something is wrong and you're not quite sure what to do. I'll be praying for him and hoping in the end you know he was happy and well cared for during his last years.
Thank-you. I have made the years he has had with me happy ones and I shall do my best to make his last year a happy peaceful one.

Earl really loves his mate Caitrin and I am so glad I brought them together. She is happy to be with him so he will not be alone.
There is another male that Caitrin has spent time with, so when Earl is gone she could live with Jack. I am thinking about Caitrin and her needs as well. Right now everyone is comfortable and happy and that is the best I can hope for.
Catherine