Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cecil and other animal events have helped animal rights
I came across a good article on the effects of things like the killing of Cecil the lion on the cause of animal rights. The article even brought up Alan the bunny who was killed by a Danish news personality on air in front of people. Even the running of the bulls and bull fighting in Spain were considered.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I think I agree that as bad as these things were they have triggered a reaction. People are aware and are calling for an end to trophy hunting and bull fighting. I certainly hope the wave of concern continues and even grows.
There has been a lot of talk about animal rights and ending animal cruelty. In some cases like Gadhimai there have been results.
As in any great cause it seems that there must be deaths before anyone notices.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's just a shame it has to come to this for the awareness to happen. Hopefully it will bring about a shift in our view of animals but there will always be people who are willing to pay thousands of dollars to kill an animal like Cecil, and there will always be people who want that money.
It is just such a shame that we cannot INSTINCTIVELY know those things, without needless deaths and cruelty having to happen first, that the world gets to hear about and condemns.

That's true, Jason. It even happens very close to me. In a beautiful woodland nearby, Pheasants are reared -most carefully, and guarded -even innocent walkers are not allowed in those areas. And of course, they are all raised for the Pheasant shoot which happens in the Autumn and Winter. And people pay good money to do some killing.
Quote: there will always be people who are willing to pay thousands of dollars to kill an animal like Cecil, and there will always be people who want that money.

Quote:It is just such a shame that we cannot INSTINCTIVELY know those things, without needless deaths and cruelty having to happen first, that the world gets to hear about and condemns.

We are a really flawed species. We don't instinctively know what should be so obvious to us about how to treat animals. And we tolerate people who pay to kill and those who take money to let the kill happen. No other species is so messed up.

We only react when it is something really shocking. I hope the shocking things help, but they shouldn't have been needed to wake people up.
Catherine

It is so sad what happens to innocent animals. And they all are innocent. I feel so bad for them all.
Cecil should not be dead. He should have lived out his life surrounded by his family.
All of the bulls killed by bull fighting in Spain should not be dead and certainly should not have died to provide entertainment.

We are the only species that kills for sport and likes to watch others do the killing. I guess if it wasn't for actual sports channeling that energy things would be worse. We are a very flawed species.

I would hope that the dentist would look at what he did and be ashamed and want to change. The truth is he feels he did nothing wrong and he thought it was a legal kill. Even if it was legal how can it be right to destroy a creature as beautiful as Cecil who was just trying to live his life in peace.
Catherine