Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
7 signs of arthritis in pets
This is a good article.
Many of us have older pets and it helps to know the signs. Now there are ways of treating arthritis so our pets can be more comfortable.

http://www.pawnation.com/2014/11/18/7-si...s-in-pets/

I actually think my older snake Earl might be a bit arthritic. I am going to seriously look at him and the 7 signs and see if there is a correlation.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is a good, easy-to-understand article.

My Misty had her leg broken a little while before she came to live permanently with me. She seemed okay on it, but later when she lived with me, she sometimes favoured that leg slightly, but I only noticed that on odd occasions or when the weather was really wet. I asked the vet about it. He suggested giving her Glucosamine each day. I then bought ordinary Glucosamine tablets -as the vet said there was really no difference between the 'human' tablets and the 'pet' tablets, and that the only real difference was the price! He said it's exactly the same basic substance. But that I must calculate the amount she needed by body weight. So I bought some cheaper 'human' ones (with no other additives.)
I gave her 500mg Glucosamine combined with 200 mg Chondroitin (also helpful for arthritis) That was right for her 30lb body weight.

The vet told me that it might take some time to make any difference. Within 5 days she stopped 'hitching' that leg sometimes, and never ever did it again! Not even as she grew to age 13....14....plus. She had no signs of arthritis. I am sure the Glucosamine/Chondroitin helped her.
I have heard about Glucosamine/Chondroitin.
So it worked that well. What a difference that made to Misty. That meant life was good right to the end.

That makes me wonder why it is not being given to more people and animals. Arthritis is really common. I think most people end up with some arthritis. I suspect most older animals have some arthritis as well.

I am sure my hamsters had some trouble. I know a lot of older dogs and cats develop arthritis.
I just don`t know about the older snakes. They slow down, but is it arthritis?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine