Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gadhimai countdown
With just days to go it is good to know that work is still being done to stop it. There are volunteers patrolling the border to stop the flow of animals into Nepal.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/141124/na...i-festival

Clearly the slaughter can't totally be stopped, but it can be affected.
They can't kill the animals that are not there.

I hope the public outrage is enough to make this the last sacrifice or at least diminish it greatly in future years.

I believe someday this will stop. I have to believe that humans are better than this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a wonderful group of volunteers! Blessings to them!
I wish them every success. They can't stop them all, but every animal they stop is one less at the slaughter.
It is a small victory, but it is a victory.
Catherine

I am so glad this is happening. Blessings to those people.
Here is the latest article that I could find.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/no...-bariyapur

It is not going to stop without a lot more work, but the slaughter is not going ahead without a lot of opposition. Even the decision to have health inspectors on hand is a victory. The slaughter is being regulated. That is a step towards ending it.

I hope some people look at what they are doing through other eyes and see how brutal it is.

I admire the people who are going there in person to fight the slaughter. It will be hard for them to witness so much cruelty and be able to do so little.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-develo...-sacrifice
I hope they can come home in peace knowing that they tried.
Catherine

Quote:Compassion in World Farming
Never Again.

Compassion investigators have just reached the site of the Gadhimai slaughter festival in Nepal. In a few short hours, the mass sacrifice will begin.
Join us and tell the Nepalese Government: Never again.
This weekend, the world will be watching as the Nepalese Government stands by and allows hundreds of thousands of animals to be brutally slaughtered.
Our investigators will be watching too. They will document this terrible festival to back up our demand to those who can help stop it:

Never again

For months Compassion campaigners have been working tirelessly to stop the inhumane slaughter at Gadhimai festival. Many of you demonstrated alongside Joanna Lumley outside the Nepalese embassy in London earlier this year. And by joining forces with like-minded organisations and individuals around the world we’ve turned what was a local issue into a global issue.

The Indian Government has committed to stop animals crossing the border into Nepal, and we have pushed hard for enforcement of relevant legislation designed to protect animals and people within Nepal. As a result, we are hopeful that fewer animals will be involved in the festival this time around, but we sadly expect that it will still continue.
With just a few short hours to go, we now know that the Nepalese Government will not stop this year’s festival. But please, call on them to ensure this is the last time it ever happens.
Please, tell the Nepalese Government: Never again.
We’ll update you tomorrow as soon as we have further news from our investigators in the field. I am sure your thoughts will be with them, and with the animals, as this awful slaughter begins
Catherine

I am so sad, but at the same time full of hope that we can change this. If there is a global will, there is a way. Kind thoughts from my heart towards those poor animals who will leave this world in panic, agony and confusion. And towards those decent people who are doing all they can to stop this in the future.
Yes, Tobi, I share your feelings. By the way, I found their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Animal-Re...1389558444

I don't have Facebook any more, but Puce still does! So we "liked" them.
I am glad Puce has Facebook. Thank-you for finding the page.
They do such wonderful work. It will be good to follow them.

I know they will not have stopped the whole slaughter, but if there is any impact at all then a centuries old "tradition" of cruelty will have been called into question. We can only change the world one bit at a time, but those little bits together create a global shift in thinking.

There are five more years to apply pressure before the next festival. Let us hope that next time it is slaughter free.
Catherine