Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope for Sea Turtles
First let me say, good going EU.
They are passing bans on plastic bags, the ones that fill our oceans and kill our turtles and a lot of other sea life.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/envir...cle/417974

It will take time to change people's habits and it will take time to clean up the oceans, but this is a step in the right direction.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The plastic bag ban is a wonderful idea. Here in Wales and some other parts of the UK we have had a charge for plastic bags for quite some time now. The thin, single use bags are 5p, but we do tend to use them many times are are encouraged to recycle them. More substantial bags or "Bags for life" are more costly, but you only pay once and when the bag is no longer usable it is replaced free of charge by the shop and sent for recycling. Hessian and cloth bags are becoming much more common, but my favourites are paper bags. They get recycled after they have been "Piggified"!! Sadly not many shops sell them and if it is wet, which it often is, they are not so good for the shopping. I have been known to take my own Hessian bags for the shopping and also purchase some paper ones for the piggies which then raises some questions!! One local retailer sees me coming and has a couple of paper bags out ready for me!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
We have a 5cent charge for bags, but many of us were already bringing our own bags. I have soft cloth, canvas, a heavy cloth/plastic and thermal bags. They are pretty cheep (1-2 $) and many people are choosing to carry them. Plastic bags are still available, but most people are not using them anymore.

Since the bags cause so much environmental harm any move to get rid of them is a step in the right direction. The sad thing is turtles eating them thinking they are jelly fish and dying as a result. If we don't stop the bag use, the ocean will become clogged with garbage.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine