Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CPR for dogs
Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) for dogs.

http://youtu.be/OWSfxc8rElY

This video clearly illustrates what to do. The first thing is NOT to panic, but to diligently follow these steps, then you have a good chance of saving your dog's life.:

Lie the dog on his/her right side.

1. Check the dog for any signs of breathing. Can you see the chest moving even slightly up and down? Can you hear breathing? Feel if breath is coming out of the nose. If not....

2. Check to see if the mouth is clear of any obstruction. If any obstruction is there pull it out.

3. Put hands round the snout to make a 'tube' with the hands, then give 5 breaths into the nose.

4. See if signs of breathing are back. If not.....

5. Check the Femoral artery for a pulse. The femoral artery is located on the inside of the top of the thigh. If there is no pulse yet.....

6. Locate the position of the heart. This is on the left side, and is easily found by bending the dog's leg, and the heart's position is where the elbow meets the body.

7. With both hands locked as illustrated, give 5 heart compressions.

8. Follow this with a breath, and do another 5 heart compressions, and another breath.

9. Check for a pulse again.

10. If not....5 more heart compressions -and so on, repeating the procedure if necessary.....
Good find. Very helpful.
Yes, I hope so. Many dogs' lives have been saved this way. With a dog who has become unconscious and unresponsive after being pulled from water, it's also a good idea to angle the dog's body with the head lower than the back end. (So that water can come out easily.)

By the way, I think that dog in the video was okay to start with. I saw a lip-licking thing going on after the man had demonstrated the breath technique. What a perfect dog -to lie so still during the demonstration!

Also this is a better video and gives a few more important details. The woman doing this demonstration recommends 15 chest compressions (not five):

http://youtu.be/VJGlsYHI9cU
Very good! Both videos are enough to teach the method. I am trained to do CPR on humans, now I think I could manage CPR on a dog.

The newer guidelines are recommending more compressions not less. The second video said 15 compressions-2breaths. However there was a message when I watched it that said 30 compressions-2 breaths.
I think the longer cycle of compressions increases the chances of restarting the heart and if it doesn't it circulated the oxygenated blood further.

The first dog was awake and playing "dead". He was a real star. T I think the second dog was a CPR model dog. When she breather into the dog the chest wall rose. You couldn't do that with a live dog. The CPR models are very good. The human on is called Annie. I have worked on a baby model. It would be good to have a chance to try the technique on the model. I always wonder if I would do it right. I am sure most of us would do a good enough job if we have to.

Thank-you for the post. I suspect the method works on other animals with a little adaption.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, probably knuckle compressions for cats, and fingertip compressions for smaller animals such as Guinea Pigs, and much gentler breaths. It's important not to inflate the lungs too dramatically, but just enough for their size.

Yes the second 'dog' on the woman's video was a model. But the first one really was a good dog-actor! He/(she?) deserves a treat!
I thought the second dog was a model. It reminded me too much of the human CPR model I practiced on.

I can't imagine how tiny the compressions would have to be for a piggie or a hamster. I have breather into a newborn kitten and it seemed to work. Of course the kitten might have breathed on its own anyhow.

I think the first dog was having fun. Dogs like to do anything we ask. The treats are just a bonus.

As you can see I have set up a first aid section. I want it to be at the top of the animal section, but I can't figure out how to move it. (I will keep trying)
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine