Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flea collar toxicity
It turns out that there is evidence that flea collars and other flea treatments for dogs contain dangerous levels of toxic pesticides. They can harm the dog wearing the collar. They can harm a cat in contact with the dog. They can harm children who play with the dog.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/cat-and-do...-1.2860665

The problem seems serious enough to warrant immediate action. Why would they take years to make a change. How would you feel if you lost your pet or damaged your child because of a treatment that is being phased out because it is dangerous.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I always sensed this about flea collars. When I had my Jack Russell, it was advised that he wore a flea collar. But after a few days I took it off him. I got a bad feeling from it. I could even smell it. It smelled toxic.
He didn't even get fleas after I took it off.

Misty absolutely NEVER had fleas. And I wouldn't have imagined her wearing a flea collar. Not even when she lived as a street dog! ( And she only got worms when she ate a mouse.)

I think it is time we re-assessed these kinds of 'treatments' and stopped using so many toxic chemicals on our pets. Some of them are not even necessary, and are obviously harmful.
There are better ways of preventing fleas. Good baths help, especially with flea repellant soaps. The flea repellant can be natural herbs. Keeping dog beds clean helps.

I am always suspicious of easy chemical treatments. There has to be a down side to something that kills fleas so thoroughly for so long. Some animals can handle it, but there are always going to be some who are poisoned. There are always going to be some children who are poisoned as well. Of course people want easy treatments no matter what the risks.

Why do they take so long to pull these things off the market when they know they are unsafe?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine