Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why we are close to cats.
The article is long, but very interesting.
Basically, it says we domesticated dogs and bred them to meet our needs. They are wonderful creatures, but they like us because they are bred to like us

We didn't and still don't breed cats. They control their own futures. When cats bond with us it is by their own choice. We didn't domesticate the cat. They domesticated themselves. (I have often thought that)

http://qz.com/304236/theres-science-behi...e_facebook

Certainly the article is a good place to start a discussion. Cats are different in how they relate to us. We have such a high regard for dogs, but we love funny cat videos.

Since cats are closer to the wild, I wonder what is says about people who prefer cats.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, that is so true. Dogs often do retain a 'wild streak' and I often think that humans make mistakes with dogs, by not understanding this in their natures.
But cats.....are far more wild, and can often do very well indeed without us. But cats choose to be with us, whereas it seems most dogs have little choice but to put up with what humans give them.

They are essentially very different.

But it's interesting how cats will respond to us so warmly, and listen to us, and how it is perfectly possible to train many cats to uphold certain rules about living with humans. But I think it has to be done differently with cats.

The cat I look after runs to greet me like any dog would, responds to a whistle (just like a dog) and will follow me if I ask her to. She also knows the word "No" concerning opening the fridge in her house to give her milk! She knows "let's go for a walk"....and "get in your bed now"....similar to a dog. And will follow me as I walk along the banks of the stream, so I can take her for a walk.

But I know her brain is basically 'wired differently' to a dog's.
I think the fact that they choose to be with us and usually like us isn't just to do with us providing easy food for them. It is more than that.
Cats are different, there in no doubt about that. The cat you look after may be able to do a lot of "dog" things, but you are right. She is still a cat.

Every dog has a "wolf" ancestor, but every cat still has the heart of a lion. They can fend for themselves and if they don't like you they will leave. Cats must like our company. They are solitary by nature and are fine with long hours alone. So when they greet us it is a genuine response of being glad to see us personally.

With my job, I go to people's homes. Every dog has greeted me like a long lost friend the moment they meet me. Every visit they go wild with excitement and are all over me.
Cats, not so much. No cat has ever greeted me on the first visit. One cat ignored my for 6 years of regular visits before she walked up and greeted me coolly. Most cats will wait months before they acknowledge me. After a year, on a very cold day, one cat finally let me open the door to let him in. These cats have bonds with their people and they do not need anyone else.

My personal friend's cats respond to me and I think it is because the cat recognizes my bond with their person. Cats are smart and they do not waste their affection on just anyone.

I think we are lucky that cats like us. It is a privilege.
Catherine

Yes, you are both so right. Cats and dogs have different origins and history. Cats are much more independent, but where love exists it is just as real and warm.

By the way, I was reading the article cited by Catherine in her first post above, and found this wonderful video mentioned there. I liked it so much I include it below (from its original YouTube source). Sorry for the "thread creep" but I couldn't resist it:

I don't mind thread creep. Sometimes you just have to post something. The dog is amazing. I have heard parrots that are not as clear.
So there you have it, dogs will even say I love you right out loud.
No cat ever did that!
But when they give their love and loyalty it is special and you know they mean it.

I think we are privileged that both dogs and cats love us. Heart
Catherine

Ha, ha! Yes of course you are right. But your kitty loves you too!
I love the 'husky-talk' ! I ended up watching quite a few of his videos! He has a fan now.

Yes platy...we ARE food dispensers. LOL But they really do love us too. If only they could talk! But purrs will do.

I heard something funny the other day about the difference between cats and dogs:
DOGS: "My human dotes on me. All I have to do is wag and beg, and my human gives me wonderful food! He must be a God!"
CATS: "My human dotes on me. All I have to do is purr, and smile, and ask nicely -and my human gives me wonderful food! I must be a God!" lol!
Quote:I heard something funny the other day about the difference between cats and dogs:
DOGS: "My human dotes on me. All I have to do is wag and beg, and my human gives me wonderful food! He must be a God!"
CATS: "My human dotes on me. All I have to do is purr, and smile, and ask nicely -and my human gives me wonderful food! I must be a God!" lol!
Posted by LPC - Yesterday 11:38 AM
Smiley4

I really think that sums up the attitude difference between cats and dogs. We love them both, but for different reasons.
We may be a food dispenser to our pets, but we are a much loved food dispenser. Cats pay us in purrs and it is worth it. Dogs pay us with their incredible loyalty.

My snakes give me hugs, good hugs and that is worth it.Heart
Catherine