Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 animal rights victories of 2014
I came across an article that lists animal rights victories of 2014.
There have been a lot of negatives. It is nice to know that there have been some positives.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/...14881.html

Some were bigger than others, but for the animals involved it is all good news.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good find, Catherine! It is all good news - and we need that sometimes, to cheer us on our way. Yes, new cruelties are discovered as time goes on, but if old ones can be stopped, that is a power for good.

Regarding the cruel skinning of angora rabbits in China, PETA has had a lot of success and there is an update here: http://www.peta.org/blog/major-retailers...gora-wool/
Good update on the angora story.

Yes we need to keep in mind the victories. There is a lifetime of work to be done, but we must not forget that we have gained so much. Compassion towards animals is a work in progress, but it is always moving forward.

There was a time when getting towns to ban bull fighting was unthinkable. Now it is a reality. It has been a good year and next year will be better.
Catherine

I am so glad to hear of these changes. Some people are loath to change their ways, but education about animal cruelty, and where exactly their clothing/meat comes from, can help them to understand, and make powerful decisions.

The other night I was talking to my aunt on the phone. She was telling me about a favourite hat and how expensive it had been, but good quality, and warm for this weather. It is made from Angora fur. It was very hard for me to do, but I had to mention that the rabbits are treated horrendously and their fur not just generously given, or cut tenderly with scissors, and a lot of care.
People don't like to hear those things. You spoil their day if you tell them. But she had no idea. And now she has. I feel bad in one way but how could I say nothing?
Quote:People don't like to hear those things. You spoil their day if you tell them. But she had no idea. And now she has. I feel bad in one way but how could I say nothing?

It is always a dilemma. Do we speak up or do we stay silent. I would want to know the truth, but not everybody does. Some people will not change and will reject the truth, so I say nothing to them. I try to change the subject. In some cases, the person is shoving something in my face and I have to speak up.

It is tough that it is an aunt and her favourite hat. But the silence just allows the abuses to go on. I think it is the silence that has let a whole industry of animal exploitation to flourish. How did your aunt handle what you said?

I am sure I thought they gently gathered the shed fur of the rabbits. I had no idea that they ripped the hair out.
Catherine