Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new Dove
I just took in a rehomed Diamond Dove. Possibly a female, so Dora comes to mind as a name. She is pretty and quite small. She was bought as a pair with her mate and somehow the other one died in a couple months. The person didn't want her after that. I will never understand that attitude. I would have felt so bad about her loss I would try to make it up to her.

Actually I do feel bad about her loss and I want to make her happy. The cage she is in will do for now. I have bigger, but I need to get it ready. I bought a bag of special dove mix and she seemed satisfied. She is using her perches and water dish. I think she will settle in okay. Other than the rescue quail, years ago, I have not kept birds. I just wanted to be sure she has a good life. I will at least try my best to make her happy.
[Image: IMG_0977.JPG]
Isn't she lovely.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Aw! She certainly is beautiful. And I hope she will be happy, when she gets used to her new life and her new home. I think, for some birds, they never mate again when their partner passes away...but she looks very good. I think Dora is a lovely name. Keep us posted!
She is pretty. Some good karma will come your way for helping Dora, that's for sure! She is in good hands now.
She is eating and using her whole cage. So I think she is settling in very well. She uses all her perches and she goes down to the bottom to feed. I think that is normal Dove behavior. I have heard no sound from her and I don't know if she makes any sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_dove

It seems that she will coo, but she does need a mate or other females. I am looking into that possibility. Birds usually don't like to be alone.

I have tried carrot and watermelon so far. She seems unsure of what these foods are so she has not had the best diet so far. I do need to get some grit. She is pretty and I am going to be overjoyed when she starts cooing.
I will keep you posted. I want to get a better set of pictures, but I didn't want to scare her.
Catherine

She's beautiful, Catherine, and has certainly landed on her feet with you. I'm sure she'll be cooing in no time.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I am working on pictures right now and should be able to load them as soon as I finish cleaning the guinea pigs.

GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Reptile Centre got me a Christmas gift.....another Dove as a mate for the one I just got.

So the next picture will be of both of them. They are pretty together and they seem fine with each other. They are so sweet. I love Doves and the little Diamond Doves are particularly beautiful.
Catherine

Well it just gets better and better. Lucky doves and Lucky Catherine.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I have a house full of Doves for Christmas. It is so sweet.Heart
Catherine