Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safety for Dogs at Christmas
With Christmas nearly here it's a good thing to think ahead, and think "Dog".
Dogs are great scroungers, thieves, counter-surfers, etc, So be one step ahead of them!
DON'T let them eat what they like. Some Christmas treats are very dangerously toxic for dogs, such as:
*Christmas cake.
*Mince pies,
*Turkey skin.
*Chocolate treats.
*Onions -or anything which has been cooked with onions, including stuffing.
*Alcohol, or anything containing alcohol.
*Turkey or chicken bones. These, especially if cooked can cause really serious blockages and internal damage (and expensive) veterinary emergencies. To be on the safe side don't even give dogs raw chicken or turkey bones. Even raw turkey necks or chicken necks can often cause horrible blockages.

Things like cream, brandy butter, and more or less anything else you can think of which humans think are tasty treats, are dangerous for dogs. At the least they can cause Acute Pancreatitis. And no one wants to have to dash to the emergency vet on Christmas Day!

If a little 'human food' really has to happen, then something like this is fine:

Small amount of lean turkey meat (no skin, as that is too fatty for most dogs, and has been known to cause attacks of Pancreatitis), plus plain cooked potato or sweet potato, plus a few greens, plus some plain gravy (no onion.) That's an OK Christmas dinner. No more.

Glass baubles or anything else hung on a tree. Make sure the dog can't get at them. Playful puppies are obviously more at risk. DON'T hang chocolates on the tree!

Beware of electric cables and wires, to Christmas lights etc.

If anyone thinks of any more Christmas hazards, please do add......

Oh.....PS....during parties, festivities, don't forget doggy needs a decent walk, whether you are sober or not! LOL

PPS....If you have a dog who is a household-wrecking-machine....do you really want to put everyone's presents under the tree? Smiley7 haha
Good point about the presents under the tree. If you know your pet is going to chew things then don't put the presents where the dog can get at them. You won't change your dog's behavior(not without a lot of work) so you have to change what you do.

Good point about the Christmas treats. We eat too many rich foods and we tend to leave them out where people can find them. Dogs are not going to resist that. Treats have to be out of dogs reach.

Be careful of candles around pets. A dogs tail can wipe out a candle and if the flame does not go out then there is a risk of a fire. Dogs can get burned by hot wax.

Remember that some Christmas plants are poisonous.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks for the additions Catherine. Yes, POINSETTIA is very toxic for dogs, and though I don't know all of the others, there are other plants often given as gifts which should be put high on a shelf, and away from all pets including dogs.

PINE is also toxic for dogs, so I hear, so it's best to be aware of that. (Although Pine Needle tea is a healthy drink for humans!) It's okay if a dog is a peaceful sort who isn't the slightest bit interested in chewing the Christmas tree...but low branches could be irresistible for pups or dogs who can't resist chewing stuff.

Many dogs are left alone at home for varying amounts of time over holiday periods, as people go shopping, go visiting etc. Always check out the room where the dog is left alone, for any possible hazards (or if the dog is crate-trained and looks on a crate as a 'den' where it is happy to rest, then put it in a crate) A bored dog with a bit of separation-anxiety could do things it wouldn't do when the caretaker is at home.

Mistletoe berries are deadly. If there's Mistletoe about, make sure it's well away from dogs and the berries won't fall.

(Gosh! This all sounds like preparing for the 3rd world war -not Christmas! LOL!)
Quote:(Gosh! This all sounds like preparing for the 3rd world war -not Christmas! LOL!)

It is just pet proofing your Christmas. Or rather, Christmas proofing your pet. As you decorate you should look around and think about whether it is pet safe. Put things up out of the dogs reach the way you would put them out of a child's reach.

I have a bunny staying with me again this Christmas and I like to free roam him. Things are set up so he can see the tree, but he cannot get at it.
He's a bunny, he would not be able to resist chewing on things. It is a small precaution to take for the sake of his safety.
Catherine

Yes that's a great idea. Even something like a large fire-guard in front of the tree would deter a bunny! In some ways they are worse than dogs, as they might nibble on anything which looked even remotely green!
He is a dwarf bunny so a bunny gate is enough. He can come into the room and see it, but he can't get past the low barrier, but I just step over it.

I hope people with fireplaces remember to be careful of their pets. A good safe fire guard is a must.

Also be careful of ribbon and wrapping supplies. Cats and dogs will eat the strangest things.
Catherine