Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Doves are better than one!
Very cute! They look happy. Birds tend to pick and pull feathers if they are uncomfortable, unhappy, scared, or sick. It's a shame when people give up on a pet when another one dies. But I can't say I haven't felt the same sometimes. You feel like it's your fault but I always realize that I made a promise to care for them and that stuff happens and it's not my fault.
You need a flight cage for sure. Are they in a hamster cage? just curious it looks like one it works if it is.
If you haven't already found one Petco has one for a really good price. It's big and can also be cleaned very easy. Comes with bowls and perches as well. I got one for myself for sugar gliders or if I wanted birds. Of course I haven't used it yet. I had Mia sit next to it I bet she could fit in it.
http://www.petco.com/product/114152/Petc...age-114152
The doves really seem to be bonding. I have called her Dora and him Virgil. He coos to her quite a bit. They are often sleeping together in the morning.

The cage is a multi level cage with the levels taken out. It would have been big enough for a ferret so it is not a bad size. The one in the pictures was the smaller cage. I had to get the bigger one out of my storage area and set it up. It is easy to clean and it has two doors.

Doves are ground feeders so I spill their seed on the bottom of the cage. It is how they prefer to feed. I have a glass water dish on the floor. It is sort enough that they can lean in and drink. I have a tiny shallow bowl for the grit. I got a special grit mix for tiny birds like doves. It has fine grit, oyster shell and some dried algae. They are eating it.
They like spinach leaves and bok choi. Carrots and apple, not so much, but I am still testing things.

I will likely get a bigger cage, but I want to get a sense of their needs first. I am also not sure where I will set their cage permanently. They don't like me walking past their cage so I need to move them since they are in a high traffic area. The snakes like high traffic areas. They like me to talk to them each time I walk by. Each pet has unique needs. I am learning dove ways bit by bit.

The finch cage is bigger, but the doors would be too small. Also the wire floor would have to be removed. One thought would be to make a cage. I could use the base of a rabbit cage and put wire above it. I would at least like to double their space.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine