Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mr. Rooster Is Having Some Issues.
We have a rooster who is not a spring chicken by any means, but still pretty spry for an older fellow.
Recently his 'crower' has not been sounding very good. I really don't mind because he normally stands right outside my windows and crows at all times of the day, however if he has a problem I would really like to help him.
It's quite entertaining when I am on the phone......."Did I just hear a chicken??"
Here lately it has been quite garbled, like he has laryngitis or something?
Otherwise, he seems to be in good health.
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with birds and might know what is causing this?
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Can a rooster lose his voice? Has he been crowing too much and strained his voice. Do they lose their voices with age?

I hope someone here knows something. Is it really cold. I have no idea. Is he well otherwise and is he eating.

I hope Mr Rooster is okay.Undecided
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I know next to nothing about chickens (roosters). However, I did a net search for "rooster losing his voice" and found these:
http://poultrykeeperforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4536
and
http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/3f9u4...-dose.html
and
http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/2o2ll...owing.html

I hope they help. Please let us know how things go.
Those are good sites. I hope they help Animal Family sort things out. Mr. Rooster is special and we wouldn't want anything to happen to him.
Catherine

So sorry it took me so long to get back here. Thank you very much for the links LPC!! I will check them out ASAP.
He has been sounding a little better this week. Unfortunately, to add insult to injury he seems to have found himself some trouble the other day. He came home with a bloody wattle.
We had a long talk and I explained the importance of not wandering off. I sincerely hope he has learned his lesson. He is doing just fine and healing nicely. I have noticed too, that he has been staying in the yard all week. Silly rooster!!

Update: I read all the links. His wattle looks fine [very vibrant red] and no discharge from his nose. In any event, I did give him some garlic which is a staple antibiotic around here. They love it and it will take care of most problems. I will continue to watch him. Hopefully he wil be back to 100% soon. I can already here him crowing much better than a week or so ago.
Thanks also to Catherine. Yes he is a very special chicken. He is so good to his 'ladies'!!
mypetsonparade.com
I am glad to hear that Mr. Rooster is doing better. I am sure your little talk made him see the error of his ways.

I am sure the girls and all the rest of you are glad to hear in fine crowing form again.

My first thought when you said you gave him garlic: won't that make his eggs taste funny? Maybe I am a little tired and my brain is not working quite right.Smiley4
Catherine

How funny! That sounds like something I would say, lol.
Unfortunately, we lost Mr. Rooster yesterday. I believe it was from the injuries he sustained recently. he seemed to be holding his own, but he was torn up pretty bad on his head. Pretty sure it was a dog that got ahold of him, but who knows for sure. It's hard to keep track of chickens 24/7. They do tend to wander during the day.
He was our first rooster and has been with us many years. We will miss him!!!
mypetsonparade.com
I am so sorry. Poor Mr. Rooster.Smiley19
He is going to be missed. You have had him forever. The hens are going to miss him a lot.
He must have been hurt worse than you thought. No doubt there are a lot of predators out there, but you are right, it is probably a dog.
He was probably protecting his girls.
Mr. Rooster had a good and happy life with you. Few chickens ever have so much freedom and fullness in their lives. RIP. Mr. Rooster.
Catherine