Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition to stop animal cruelty on UK TV show.
Hi all.

I signed this petition a little while ago, and I wanted to share it here aswell as it desperately needs more signatures.

In the UK, we have a show called "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here". It's basically a show where a small selection of lesser known celebrities are sent to a small sectioned off part of a jungle in Australia to camp there as a group - and during the show, they are supposed to do certain games/challenges to win prizes for them and the rest of the group to make their stay in the jungle more luxurious.

Some of these "challenges" are harmless ... simply things like the contestants swimming through a lake/walking across a rope to find a plastic star ect.

However, many of these "challenges" involve extreme cruelty to animals/small creatures who are trapped in boxes and containers where they are eaten alive by the contestants for the purpose of "making people laugh". Small animals are often filmed squirming to get away, as they are lifted out of boxes/containers and eaten. Along with this disgusting unnecessary suffering, other animals/small creatures who are placed around obstacle courses in the show to make challenges seem "scary" are often stepped/trampled on, sat on, and rough handled - the show literally treats these creatures as though they are stage props, rather than living beings.

Small animals being eaten alive / forced to suffer immense pain - should not be considered as a form of comedy/entertainment.

The petition below, is calling on the UK government to stop this type of cruelty from being allowed to continue as a form of TV "entertainment":
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/72440

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede
I know this show. I hate it. For the above reasons. And for all the moaning and complaining that goes on when asked to live 'in the raw' a little bit. Goodness me! They only have to fast-forward a few weeks and they will be back in their comfortable lives again! Some people do not have the luxury.....
And they show zero respect to those small insects and creatures. They have no compassion.
Silly egotistical humans at it again.
Signed.
The show sounds horrible. I can't sign the petition since I am not a UK citizen. That is discriminatory. I do watch British TV sometimes. I certainly object to a show like that.

Why do people think that tiny animals don't deserve respect and why do they think that they don't feel pain or fear.Angry
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I just signed. I live in France, but am a British citizen. I urge others to sign, if they are eligible.

Janay, I will state it here in case others come to this thread and don't read from the beginning (it happens!): only those who reside in the UK or are British citizens can sign this UK Government e-petition. Sadly, it has attracted very few signatures, worthy as it is. I also suspect that the signature total is not updated frequently (I signed, received confirmation, checked later and the total was the same).

As for the show, I saw it on the television via satellite occasionally and always changed channel immediately after seeing what went on.

(01-05-2015, 08:42 AM)Janay Wrote: Small animals being eaten alive / forced to suffer immense pain - should not be considered as a form of comedy/entertainment.
and
(01-05-2015, 01:07 PM)Tobi Wrote: And they show zero respect to those small insects and creatures. They have no compassion.
Silly egotistical humans at it again.
You are both so correct! Spot on!
(01-05-2015, 04:56 PM)Catherine Wrote: Why do people think that tiny animals don't deserve respect and why do they think that they don't feel pain or fear.Angry

I know. That's exactly what it's about: a situation where because a creature is -small/invertebrate/arachnid/reptile....etc people automatically assume it doesn't feel fear and pain -or indeed, is capable of feeling or knowing very much at all.
I would like to sit those people down and get them to watch spiders interacting socially. Or a bug stuck on a log in the fire, desperately running from end to end of the piece of wood, as it gets warmer and warmer. (Don't worry. I always pull the log out of the fire and shake the bug off!)
And the little black beetle who runs across my floor very often....and the tiny newt who came to visit me and sat in my hand and looked up at me....
When you are open to the little creatures the world is a much better place. We see the life and beauty of these little creatures. They are not so different from us. I cleaned my storage room on Sunday and I had to move a lot of spiders. That room is their home and they will be fine with the new set up, but I had to be careful that they didn't get hurt in the process.

Why can't a TV show have that kind of respect for animals. Some of these weird shows commit terrible acts of cruelty, but because it is part of a show, no one reacts. Can someone who sees the show start a petition that we all can sign.
Catherine

I've signed too.
This has to be one of the most vacuous and puerile tv shows there is. I watched a part of one show when it started some years ago and have never been back. The things some people will do just to be on tv, with no thought for the creatures involved.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
They need to regulate these so called reality TV shows. Because it is a show there seems to be no regulation. They violate health codes and animal cruelty laws and work place safety laws, the list is endless.

The violations against animals are horrible in themselves, but they also desensitize people to acts of cruelty against animals. They give people bad ideas about what is entertaining.

I don't even own a TV.
Catherine

(01-05-2015, 08:59 PM)LPC Wrote: I just signed. I live in France, but am a British citizen. I urge others to sign, if they are eligible.

Janay, I will state it here in case others come to this thread and don't read from the beginning (it happens!): only those who reside in the UK or are British citizens can sign this UK Government e-petition. Sadly, it has attracted very few signatures, worthy as it is. I also suspect that the signature total is not updated frequently (I signed, received confirmation, checked later and the total was the same).

As for the show, I saw it on the television via satellite occasionally and always changed channel immediately after seeing what went on.

Thanks LPC. I actually forgot that people can only sign this petition if they have British citizenship. (Sorry Catherine and other's outside the UK).
And yes it is sad that so far it has only gained a few signatures - I think the man who authored this petition only posted it on one forum, that's why I thought it would be a good idea to post it here and spread it a bit more. Even if the petition fails to get enough signatures, at least those few who signed know that they tried.

"And ye harm none, do what ye will" ~ Wiccan Rede
The man who started the petition should get it rolling on social media. I have a petition to get Colonel the Dog out of Afghanistan (I am almost sure it's a lost cause by now....) but it has taken off, and a lot of other people are sharing it already. Yes we are all nuts. But the petition has started to roll all by itself.
I will put this petition on Twitter (or have I already done that??) -See I am nuts already....
Anyway whatever -I shall do it again.