Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog abandoned at station
On Friday at Ayr railway station in Scotland, a dog was found obviously abandoned. The Shar-Pei mix looks to be sitting patiently....probably waiting for his people to come back to him.
Beside him was a suitcase containing all his belongings -a pillow, food, toys and food bowls.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/dog-abandoned-...ml#HbTlLti
Oh, poor thing! I'm amazed that the people who sold him did not ask for the name and address of the new "owner". The dog was microchipped, so there should be an obligation to report any change of "owner" to the authorities on selling.
I know. That's the problem with some of this online selling of animals. Sometimes, the people both selling and buying do not care about things being done right -or the animal's long term welfare, or the suitability of new caretakers. It shouldn't be possible to trade an animal on a site like Gumtree, Craigslist, or anywhere else.
The poor dog. That is so sad. Somehow leaving him with his suitcase makes it seem more sad. If they just couldn't keep him anymore, why couldn't they take him to a shelter. Dogs left tied up look so sad anyhow.

I am glad so many people want to adopt him. I am sure he will soon be in a special loving forever home.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

He looks like a nice dog. I guess he is lucky in many ways, because his story got so much publicity. The person who left him there doesn't seem cruel. There's something slightly poignant about the suitcase with all his belongings.
But yes, taking the dog to a rescue or shelter would have been more sensible I suppose.

Maybe someone's life changed dramatically in some way, and they could no longer look after him. It's hard to imagine anything which could mean having to leave your best friend behind.
But -dumping a family member?? Leaving them alone at a station and just walking away? Whatever has happened to that person must be so extreme, we can't even guess at it.
Then again -some people take on the responsibility of an animal without thinking things through....what's going to happen in the future?
A dog, or any animal is for life -for better or worse, in sickness and in health, and even if some landlord says "No pets". If they are put as top priority, then 99% of the time there always has to be another way, besides leaving them behind somewhere.

I knew someone once who gave up her faithful dog because she hadn't paid the mortgage, and the bank reclaimed her house. Surely she had plenty of warning about that situation, and could have made plans for herself and her dog MONTHS before? But it seemed she lived in delusions, and the dog's love came last (She was one of the most strictly 'religious' people, by the way...)
Things can happen suddenly and placing a pet somewhere else might be the best solution. If you went to the shelter and explained it they would understand. The pet would not go through the trauma of being abandoned That is a responsible way to do things.

Losing a home doesn't happen overnight. There is time to plan. Couldn't you sell the house and make some money. The bank would get most of it, but it would be better than foreclosure. Knowing it is coming couldn't one plan for one's pets?

No eviction is immediate and animals could be placed with friends for a short time. There are always solutions that don't involve leaving a dog tied up with a suitcase.

When a friend died I was asked to take her two guinea pigs. Of course I said yes. If not me, another friend would have done it. It was a responsible decision to place the girls with me because I already had some guinea pigs and knew how to care for them. There are always solutions that don't involve abandonment.
Catherine

I totally agree Catherine. We have to put our beloved animals on the top of our priority list.
One doesn't just dump a dog -or any other creature. That is deeply sad and irresponsible.
I totally agree with both of you. But at least this behaviour wasn't as bad as that of some people, who throw puppies out of cars whilst going fast along a motorway, or drown them, etc....

We cannot guess what led the person to leave the dog at a railway station. But the fact that a suitcase was left with the dog's personal items suggests that the human was hoping to get the dog a good home via all the resultant publicity. Sad for the dog, but at least the outcome will be good if he gets the forever home which he deserves.
I am sure the dog will be adopted right away. People always want the dog that was in the news. There are dogs in the shelter that have waited a long time for a home. If only some of the ones who don't get the abandoned dog turn around and adopt another dog. That would make the whole thing turn out for the best.
Catherine