Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dog's loyalty and memory
This afternoon I went for a walk about a mile away, near the village. Next to the school and church there are fields and then a hill behind. I came across a small golden Labrador who seemed to be hanging out in the field, barking as if he was scared of passers-by and lurking about -looking very much like a lost dog. Yet he seemed well-fed and wore a dog-tag on his collar.
He wouldn't let me near him, and scooted off whenever I tried to gently talk to him and corral him so I could put a piece of baling twine onto his collar. I wanted to find out the telephone number on the tag, was going to take him home with me, locate his caretakers, and drive him home when they answered their phone. But I could not get anywhere near him.
Although school was out by this time, I asked a teacher who was playing football with some children in the school yard. Did he know whose dog it was?
"Oh not him again!" The man answered, "He does this regularly! He knows when the children come out of school, and escapes from his garden to come and meet one of them. But what he can't understand is that student has now moved on into secondary school in another town! He waits for them for ages, then either he goes home again very sadly, or his people come to get him. No matter how many fences they put up, he gets out."

"So when his beloved person eventually comes home from school, he must be very happy, and wonder what happened," I said.

"Yes," the man replied, "The child has been at the other school since last September. But as often as he can get out, he turns up to meet them. He's stupid!"

I didn't answer, but thought -that's not really stupid. Of course the dog doesn't understand about the other school. All he knows is he loves that child, and will hang around as long as it takes to meet them. He will go through any barriers, will wait without question, and what is more -remembers all those details from months ago. And no matter what, he will not give up.

The man said he would call the caretakers and tell them 'it's happened again'. And all would be well. They would come to collect the dog as usual.

As I turned to leave, I said to the dog, "Okay then, I'm off. You're all right by the sound of it, and not lost, so I'm going home."
The dog barked a warning at me, "Don't you even think of trying to get near me because I am on a mission and am not going to let you waylay me!"
I laughed and replied "You are a good dog and I know how much your kind loves us, and there is no limit to your loyalty and ability to remember."
Then I went home.
That is kind of a happy/sad story. It is happy because the dog is so beautifully loyal and faithful, but it is sad because the child he waits for is not where he is waiting.

Could they show him where the child goes to school now? He is smart enough to learn. He could be taken to the new school and back a few times. Then he could be shown a new waiting spot. If they walked him to the new spot daily for a few days he would catch on and wait there.

I feel sad that he does not know why the child is not where he should be.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Well, the new school is in a town about 3 miles away. There is a school bus which drops off the children at the village each afternoon, but it stops at the main road...so getting him to meet the child there instead isn't such a good idea.
I think his people are going to have to think harder about fences. Or be willing to put him on the lead and walk him to meet the school bus every day. But it's amazing how many people don't do things like that any more. And if they did, they would have to make their garden like Fort Knox. If he started getting out on his own, the main road isn't a good place for him to hang out.

There are elements of this which remind me of Hachi-Ko, the Japanese dog who went to the train station every day at 5pm for ten years after his caretaker passed away. He remained faithful and true and never forgot where, and at what time, they always used to meet.
I remember that dog who waited for the train. Maybe the waiting made him feel close to the man that died. We visit cemeteries even though we will not actually be seeing the person who has died.

I think I would work with him to establish a new pattern. The school is too far away. The school bus is too dangerous. They could put him on a lead and wait at the time the child comes home from the school bus. They could make a big thing of it and walk up the road a little at the right time. The dog would learn and it would be safer than having him go to the school. It would relieve his anxieties. I am sure the school would appreciate it.

Some people just don't think things through.
Catherine

I think that would be a great idea. Some Mums (and Dads) do walk their dogs to the village school to meet the children coming out. But many people are 'too busy' to do special things like that with their dogs. Or may be out at work. And it is amazing how many dogs in my area get turned out into gardens for their daily exercise. Okay so the gardens are rural and many are large, but there are so many dogs who are simply not walked!
But that's another subject and a 'bug-bear' of mine....
I am sure a run in the garden is fine, but dogs love to walk with people. Walking the dog to the school bus couldn't be that hard. Someone would have to be home to meet the child, unless the child is much older.
I am sure they could work something out to help the dog. A higher fence is not the option. A dog that determined cannot be contained by a fence.

It would have been smarter in the long run to not let the dog go to the school in the first place. After all they knew the child would change schools later.
Catherine

I agree, there is now way to keep a dog in who doesn't want to stay in. Not to mention the stress it would cause if he spent his days trying to escape.
If everyone in town knows the dog and he poses no threat or danger, maybe they could establish a safe meeting place somewhere in between. Safe for the dog to wait and he could walk the child the rest of the way home.
In this day and age having a dog to accompany a child in not a bad idea!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I am sure if they think it through they will find a solution. Maybe the dog will figure it out. He might get the child's scent at the new location or he might hear the child. Dogs are smart and capable. It would be a good thing to have a dog waiting for the bus. I wouldn't want a child walking home alone.

Maybe he could walk a different child home from the nearby school.
Catherine

If he were my dog I would put a chain link fence 6ft high all around the property, and sink the chain link inches into wet cement in channels, and include the gate in this. Then thinking also of his feelings, I would get him on a lead and walk to meet the school bus every day.
But that's me....haha
I would certainly walk him to the school bus or at least part way so he could establish a new routine.
The big fence would make him safer. I just don't like chain link fences.
It is probably the best idea though.
Catherine