Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Groundhog Day!
Happy Groundhog Day. This should be a national holiday. Whatever the groundhog predicts, we are at the halfway point of winter.
That is worth celebrating.

A little info for those of you unfamiliar with the day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/groundhog-...-1.2939583

Now I just have to wait and hear what the little rodent has to say.
In the mean time, I think a little sleep might be in order.Smiley63
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Is it Ground hog Day already? Do let us know his prediction, won't you!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Is it really a year gone by since we last discussed Groundhog day (and the film....)? Well, let's hope that everyone finds the individual purpose of his/her life, and doesn't get caught in a loop, like in the film.
I bet I know what he is going to say....

"Brrrr! It's blooming freezing! I'm going back to bed and all those humans can do what they like but it's too early!"

This is also the day when the Badger (in England) is supposed to come out just to test the weather and make up his mind if he wants to go back or come out!

Here, we start to notice the sun is a little higher in the sky, and it stays light a little bit longer in the late afternoon. A little more light becomes obvious after the darker days of winter.

It seems like "Snowdrop Day" to me.....Many Snowdrops are in bloom.
Quote:It seems like "Snowdrop Day" to me.....Many Snowdrops are in bloom.

You have Snowdrops in bloom? Wow! We had a massive snowfall.
You are right though, the days do seem a little longer.

Time has flown. It does seem like just yesterday that we were discussing groundhog day. It seems like just yesterday that I was discussing groundhog day on the old forum site.
My local groundhog says early spring and I agree with him. Some of the others say six more weeks of winter. Maybe they will get the six weeks of winter and we will get the early spring.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/groundhog-...-1.2940020

I do love the Groundhog Day movie. I watched it on a night flight and did not know what the movie was about. I kept dozing off and every time I woke up they were doing the same scene. It was a strange experience. I seemed to keep seeing the same scene over and over again. I had a good laugh when I learned that they replay the same scene over and over again in the movie. I do love the scene where he has the groundhog driving his car.Smiley4

I found a Toronto Groundhog.
This one is at the Toronto Zoo. Be sure and click on the link and see his video. He is so fat and chubby and very cute.
http://www.wireservice.ca/index.php?modu...c.facebook
Catherine

Ah, so the groundhogs have different opinions about when spring will be! A bit like humans, really....Smiley4

Regarding the film, it needs watching very carefully. Arrogant TV reporter Phil goes into Punxsutawney hating the event, all the townsfolk and even his colleagues. He then gets caught up in a time loop, forced to relive the same day again and again.

But if you look at each repetition carefully, there are differences. He learns from some of his mistakes each time. As each repetition occurred in the film, I was saying, "Oh, no! Learn from last time!" Sometimes he learned, sometimes he didn't. But you can see the difference in his attitude each time around.

He goes from being grumpy, cynical and self-centred - via despair, depression and even attempted suicide - to become a man dedicated to helping others, caring for the weak and helpless, full of love. Finally, when he realises this is his "vocation", he wins the attention and love of the lady he wanted - and decides to settle down in the town he once bitterly despised.

Sorry for the rambling about the film....I just love it. Regarding the real Groundhog Day, apparently the Punxsutawney animal thinks more winter lies ahead, unlike the Canadian one. Well, we will soon know. We can't change when winter ends, but we can change our hearts!
I love the movie Groundhog Day. I did finally watch it when I was awake. I still think my night flight version of it was classic. It wouldn't have worked for any other movie. Every time they held the groundhog up, they made a show of it and woke me up. It was always the same scene that woke me.

You summed the movie up beautifully. I should watch it again. I am sure I will see more in it than the last viewing, years ago.

You know, if we don't change we are condemned to repeat things over and over. It is never so spectacular as the Groundhog day experience, but our lives are full of repetitions. If we are doing things wrong, that is what we will repeat.

The Canadian Groundhogs are calling for early spring and the American ones say six more weeks of winter. So we will have early spring up here. It can happen. You wouldn't know it from the weather this week. It is nasty cold.
Catherine