Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vegan Option
I live and work in the city so I have social functions that I have to attend from time to time. Years ago, everything served was geared for meat eaters. Then gradually the odd vegetarian option was added as an extra.
Then I noticed that the vegetarian option was expected and often given equal space. I just assumed that My New Years Eve food had to have vegetarian choices.

Last night at The Humane Society volunteer appreciation night, there was a whole section of vegan options. There were some good choices too.
Now that I think of it, I am often seeing vegan choices on menus. They are not placed on the back page as an after thought. If they do not have their own section then dishes through out the menu are labeled as vegan or not.
Candy stores have vegan candy choices. The cupcake shop has vegan cupcakes.

It is now possible to be a vegan and still be main stream in your life style. No one would have a problem with someone ordering the vegan choice. This is a noticeable shift in human behavior. Has anyone else noticed the change?

Yes I did have one dish on New Years Eve that was vegan. I would have made it anyhow because everyone likes it, but I was also thinking that I wanted to be prepared just in case.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Here in France we have wonderful restaurants, and in the countryside it is possible to have a complete meal (starter, main course, dessert, cheese plus wine and/or cider) - all for €12. Not in Paris, of course!

But veganism has not caught on here, at least not in the countryside, where eating red meat seems entrenched - which includes about half of France, as much of it is still rural. The nearest true vegetarian/vegan restaurant is one hours drive away from us.

We manage in local restaurants by taking a large buffet as starter, then taking the buffet again as our main course. The buffets are usually very large with a good choice - more than enough for a person who is hungry!

In other more urban environments, in many other countries (including the UK), vegetarian or vegan restaurants are quite common. It seems like Canada is ahead of the pack, judging by your post, Catherine.
Yes I know platy....seafood is definitely not vegetarian! I didn't eat meat and very few dairy products since about 1980 but have to admit I did occasionally lapse and eat canned salmon and other fish before going vegan. That was 3 years ago. I was worried I needed the omega 3 sometimes, and couldn't get enough from plant based sources per day. I ate flax seeds but if I ate anywhere close to the recommended dose I would sometimes feel queasy!
But now I have found a vegan alternative Omega 3 supplement!

It does sound good Catherine, that where you live there are so many vegan options. In my area (rural Britain) veganism is considered fairly "weird" among the local people. But there is a large 'new age' community in the town near here so some restaurants cater well for vegans. Unfortunately no-one I happen to know IS vegan. It can sometimes be awkward, explaining to them that I don't eat animal products. They think I'm nuts.

Someone I know, who can just about get his head around me being 'vegetarian' but has no idea what 'vegan' is.... the other day said he was making a stew with bacon and peas, carrots etc, and would I come for dinner? That I would like his recipe. It is quite odd that he just forgot I said I didn't eat meat, or couldn't be bothered to remember.....
I once used to like bacon. I would not have said no in the old days. But how could I eat a pig now?

I'm not one for eating out -if left to my own devices. But social obligations sometimes mean I have to. Luckily the local fish and chip shop has bean-burgers on the menu! And of course there's nothing wrong with chips! ( chips...yummy!)
Quote:Here in France we have wonderful restaurants, and in the countryside it is possible to have a complete meal (starter, main course, dessert, cheese plus wine and/or cider) - all for €12. Not in Paris, of course!
That sounds about right for a modest restaurant. Really fancy ones would run much higher.

I am noticing that my local take out pizza place has at least one vegan choice and a number of vegetarian ones.

When I go to events like community picnics and meetings, there are vegan choices. It is assumed that some people will want them.
Toronto is a really big city with an ethnically varied population. Some people are vegan as a choice, some are vegan for religious reasons. The same is true of vegetarians. It is very much a main stream option now. When you plan an event that serves food, you have to think over the menu to meet a variety of needs and choices. I am sure in some places vegans and vegetarians are still seen as odd, but not the places I have been lately. It is a real shift in thinking and lifestyle.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine