Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTC Meds and pets
We can't obtain antibiotic in the UK unless on prescription. But I do thnk that it would be very helpful if we could....although one needs the wisdom about how to use it -and when.

But I used to always use Echinacea Angustifolia herbal tincture on any bad wounds Misty got (if I saw that we could possibly avoid a vet visit as she was terrified of the vet!) It works as an antiseptic/antibiotic, and is wonderful. Not one wound, cut or graze ever got infected, and healed very quickly and well.

Bathing wounds with warm salt water will also help.

I can imagine Polysporin would be a broad spectrum antibiotic and safe to use on any creature if needed.

The idea of a few drops of red wine for the hamsters is a good one. It can help in situations like that.

Alcohol is considered toxic for dogs and cats....yet I have known people whose dogs loved a little bowl of beer or Guinness occasionally! And it appeared to do them no harm. But I never gave it to Misty.

But in extreme health emergencies such as you describe, it would be the perfect thing to help the hamsters.

Messages In This Thread
OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Tobi - 02-11-2015, 02:50 AM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Tobi - 02-12-2015, 04:35 AM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-23-2015, 03:29 AM