Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OTC Meds and pets
Add an animal name to any product and the price skyrockets. I once bought a small box of cricket food for $7.00 and it was chopped oatmeal, with a few vitamins. A whole bottle of vitamins would be a few dollars and it was a half cup of oatmeal and a whole big bag(I kg) is about $3.00. I felt like I had been taken by the cricket picture on the box.

I guess horses do need tetanus shots. They are out there in places when they can get cut and where it is not too clean. It helps if you can get supplies and if you know what things are well enough to use the human grade products.
Vit A cream would be good, but it is hard to get here. I can get Vit E creams and Vit E oil. Our standby treatment for wounds is still Polysporin. Everyone uses it for everything.

I use human grade eye drops if I need to flush an eye. They are OTC and they are really just artificial tears and I use them for my dry eyes.

We have lots of OTC antifungal creams and there is no need to panic when you see ringworm. I treated some rescue guinea pigs for ring worm and it didn't spread to the other piggies and I didn't catch it either. I kept up a month of treatment, but it was really cleared up within the first week. I did check a guinea pig site to confirm that I had the right medication since each brand uses a different chemical.

If you are careful there are lots of OTC products that work, but you need to base the dosage on the size of the animal.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Tobi - 02-11-2015, 02:50 AM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-11-2015, 03:34 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Tobi - 02-12-2015, 04:35 AM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-12-2015, 05:21 PM
RE: OTC Meds and pets - by Catherine - 02-23-2015, 03:29 AM